Doe still bleeding after possible abortion

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by crocee, Dec 27, 2008.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Our 2 year old Nubian possibly aborted on the 13th but shes still having a bloody discharge. Its not mucous but red blood. Its just a thin trickle but it seems to be persistent. Do they bleed this long or do I need to be worried? Shes still pretty large in the belly and hard on the right side but since she was only bred in October the fetus would have been almost microscopic. Is it possible shes still pregnant? She is eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping normally. When the feed can is shaken she runs to get it. She shows no signs of anything being wrong. Her temp was 102.8 today so I don't think she has an infection.
    crocee

2. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    How's the doe doing now?? Still bleeding?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she is cleaning out like a normal doe after a kidding more then likely. Chances of a live kid still growing dont seem possible..........but then again I dont know everything. :shrug: It depends on the nature of the abortion.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    If it's not a continuing flow like a lot (don't know how to explain) then she's probably just fine. They will look like that for a few days sometimes it will go off and on throughout 4 or 5, somtimes a week. I would just keep an eye on her. I do find it a little weird that IF she aborted on the 13, it has been a little longer (from what i've seen) that she should be "cleaning out" her body. I just had one of my pygmy does abort the other day, about a week ago and nothing is coming out and she's acting like herself. So i'm not really sure what's going on with your girl, there's probably little chance that she's stil pregnant, but I could be wrong.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I've noticed some of our does "cleaning out" after kidding for sometimes up to 2-3 weeks. But maybe it's different if they've kidded live babies??

Either way, I hope your doe is doing well - she certainly sounds very happy and healthy. :)

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    To me that seems a little long but if she does not have fever I would not worry to much. Just keep a eye on her.

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Yesterday was the first day with no bloody discharge. She seems like her normally happy, healthy, obnoxious self. She runs, jumps, plays, eats, drinks, pees, and poops just like she always has. I don't think there are any viable kids after this much cleaning out. AH Well, I guess we will have Nubian X Boer kids from her when she comes in again.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Glad to hear that she is doing fine. Sorry about the abortion,but it happens for a eason and we never know why. :?

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Well it looks like Tilly didn't abort everything after all :leap: :leap:. Shes still growing in the belly and uddering up. Her udder is somewhere around softball size, maybe a little larger and FIRM. I am going to go with her original due date of 2/22/09 to 3/2/09 on the 150 day schedule. Hopefully she was not bred sooner and the original owner forgot or had a lapse in his memory :shocked: Its too early for her to be showing anything and showing a good size udder if she was bred by Jacob our baby buckling as she would only be a month or less. This will be her first time and our first farm birth.

HK Tracy should go between 3/21/09 and 3/28/09, this will be her 2nd time at being a mama.