doe stole other does kids

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by daisymay, Jun 18, 2020.

1. daisymay

daisymay Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    well long story short, i decided to put the two does in a stall as it was going to rain for the next few days. both were due close together and have lived together for awhile.so thought being separate was more stressful. plus i dont live where my goats are currently so i couldnt check to see if any of the kids would get out in the rain.
    first one kidded in the early morning before i went and checked on them. she had triplets. the other doe kept trying to take the kids. so when i finally got there. the poor doeling was not wanted by her real dam. took the other doe out and found some birthing fluid to put on the doeling. her dam did lick her but still wasnt really into her. end of the day i moved her and the kids in the outside pen and moved the other doe in the stall.
    The doeling did manage to drink but was always calling and hungry. i did feed her on the bottle as well as she was the smallest of the litter. the following day was the same thing she was hungry and drank from the bottle so didnt get much from her mom(did use moms milk). finally decided to put her with the other doe who is due anytime as that doe has been crying non stop for the doeling.
    once the doeling was with her she calmed down and the doeling was happy, she is nursing the one that is due. i did worry about the fact she did not kid yet but figured i can supplement her kids once they arrive.
    so as of this morning still no kids and the doeling has been with the new mom for 24 hours and drinking her milk. im assuming the doe will not produce much more first milk since the doeling is drinking it. is that correct? so bottle feeding her kids when she has them will be okay for the first 24 hours with frozen colostrum ?

2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    i think you are might lose this game of no bottle kids. This doe with the doeling.... the frozen colostrum will not smell like hers. She may not let them nurse. She may not take them because she already has a baby. The other kid is days older and may push them off the doe if they do try to nurse. Good luck with this.

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. daisymay

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    thank you, i wasnt sure what to do, i couldnt take her to work with me and iknew she wasnt getting enough with her real dam. hopefully it will work out this doe likes kids so hopefully that helps. this doeling is quite small and only a couple days old.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Pregnant Doe and a kid nursing on her is a no no.
    She won't have colostrum for her babies. :(

I would remove the kid that isn't hers.
    I know she won't be happy, however, the kid is robbing from the babies to be born.

5. daisymay

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    so i was correct, a doe only has colostrum for 24 hours when she starts milking?.

i heard of mares dripping for up to a week before foaling so wasnt sure if it was the same for goats? thank you.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. daisymay

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    thank you she is at day 148 today.

8. daisymay

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    well, maybe i have the dates wrong or she decided to have a date by herself. as she is still pregnant. herhips are sunkin in , her rear legs are posty. i did try again to get her dam to take the doeling but it didnt work. i figured now i was worried this girl would stop producing milk if i took the doeling away. way past the colostrum stage anyways. i do take the doeling away for the afternoon when im home and she is good with that. so hopefully all will work out.

9. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I would remove the kid and bottle feed. Keep her in the house if needed. If she stops producing colostrum, her kids will not be protected.

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. daisymay

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    im assuming she quit producing it awhile ago as the other doe kidded at the beginning of the week and this is saturday. i have some stock in the freezer which i plan to use whenever she gets around to kidding.
    i cant bottle feed 24/7 as i cant take the kids to work or i would have..

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, pull that kid or find someone who will care for her.

This situation is really hard for mama and her kids on the way.

The doe when she kids, will have colostrum if you do not allow the other kid to nurse her before she kids and can build up her milk(colostrum) supply.

I hate to be pushy about this, but it is not fair to the new babies and mama.
    I am concerned for all.

Mama goat, when the kids are born, will have 24 hours of colostrum, she needs time to replenish her volume for her babies now.

goatblessings and Sfgwife like this.
  12. daisymay

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    i thought once someone nursed off of her she only had the 24 hours. so that time already passed.but didnt know she kept producing it until she kidded...

she just kidded twins. large buckling(same size as the doeling that was nursing off of her) and normal size doeling from what i was told.

the doeling was also getting a bottle at least twice a day. but then i started worrying about the doe drying off before she kidded. i defintly wont have this happen again. no more momas to be in a stall together....

13. daisymay

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    Black and white one is the doeling she took. Other two were just born and big.

Attached Files:

Tanya and MadHouse like this.
  14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Very cute!

MadHouse likes this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. daisymay

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    5 days old and they are getting feisty. little doeling is 8 days old now. going outside on friday.mom is starting to not guard them as much and thinking of wanting to go outside of her stall.
    all getting chance to take a bottle twice a day. the youngins only take a few sips but the older gal takes about an ounce each time. hopefully mom will start producing more now that they are getting bigger. i started her on grain yesterday and she is finally drinking more water now that the temp in the 70s during the day.
    all get along well, so it worked out for the best. thank you all for your knowledge!

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  18. daisymay

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    quick update. sold the chocolate doeling as an older bottle baby. now buckling is getting weaned. mom(grandma) still has the original doeling who is still smaller but healthy. mom is doing very well at 9 years old and looks great. She is again surrounded by all my kids from this year. I know they say it with humans, but i think she has a healthy glow when she has kids :)

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good to hear things turned out OK. ;)

MadHouse likes this.
  20. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    I think you did the best you could and am glad it all worked. Good job!

MadHouse likes this.