Doe that doesn't settle ! Help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CrazyAcre, Jul 19, 2010.

1. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    I have a doe I resently aquired, that has been difficult to settle, she is 2 yrs old and has not kidded yet. So not to old, but
    She has come into heat and been bred several times
    So she could be possibly bred, but she has been in with a buck every month since March ....
    The last observed breeding was in June.
    Is there anything I can try medically or even herbally that might help her settle. She is a beautiful doe, and I'd hate for her genetics to be wasted.

Thanks

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have heard Vionate (you can get it from Jeffers) helps with fertility. It's like a top dress powder that you can mix in with their grain.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    is she willingly being bred or are you holding her to be bred when you assume her to be in standing heat?

I have had a hard time with spring breedings I find its easier and a greater settle rate when I breed in the late fall and winter.

4. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Stacey , she was pasture bred, and I'm not sure if she was actually bred the other times that she was in the pasture with the buck, I got her from a friend of mine, who only said she saw the breeding on the last time that she was with a buck, so she could be bred.
    But if she wasn't , I was just wondering if there is some things that I could do to try to help.

Also I will look up that Vionate at jeffers, I surpose it couldn't hurt..

Thanks

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The other thing that you can try is to give her an injection of Lutelyse - it will stimulate her to have a heat cycle - but it is an Rx. You would probably want to wait 30 days from when you pulled her out of the buck pen and preg test prior to giving the injection because if she is prego it will make her miscarry.

6. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    We pen breed for this reason. I want to see that buck do his business at least 3 times if not more. If I need to hold a first time doe, I will. Usually once and she gets the idea. Makes it real easy to calculate due dates too. We're rarely more than 3 days off one way or the other. Your doe's not "over conditioned" is she? Fat does don't conceive well and have delivery problems. Same thing with mineral deficiency. Ask me how I know. :greengrin: