The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 4 year old doe who was injured as a doeling so she does have a limp(hit in the shoulder).

she is a second fresher. ended up having quads a few weeks ago but only two made it(i wasnt there and wasnt sure on the kidding date since the buckling was sneaky). I figured after loosing that much weight she should be feeling better, but i see her not stand up all the way/stay on her knees when i go out to feed hay. i would say about 15% of the time she stays on her knees instead of standing up. she is not on any grain right now as she is keeping weight but does get alfalfa /orchard hay.
is there any oral supplements that would help her? she is my favorite bottle fed doe and i know if they are on the knees then they are sore. her feet look fine, her legs look good. her kids look good. she is probably 50-55 pounds. i do stretch her leg which see seems to like and try to massage her shoulder area. im thinking maybe arthritis ?

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
Are hooves trimmed to adjust to her limp?. Somtimes they walk a little different and wear the hoof funky.
If all that looks good could be arthritis setting in. If you push and poke around..is there a pain response?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when she is getting up she does hold that leg out for a bit then limps a bit then is fine but she has been that way since being hit by the doe. no her hooves seem fine. i worried about hyperextended knee but her knees are nice and aligned and at four i figure it would of shown up by now.

·
Fair-Haven
4,596 Posts
What breed is she? Cod liver oil capsules can help with vitamin D, to help her joints as a supplement. If she won't eat them, you can snip the tip and squirt in her mouth. Quads just suck the minerals out of the does, make sure she is getting a great loose mineral, calicium, iodine and selenium.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts