DOE THAT LOST BABIES

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KFOWLER, Nov 3, 2010.

1. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Will she dry up naturally or is there something I need to do for her?

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    So sorry about the babies...
    You are going to have to milk her enough to relieve some pressure for several days...15 or 20 squirts on each side for a day or two then a couple days later. She will dry up but she needs help the first week so she doesnt get uncomfortable.

3. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Can I freeze and save the milk for future use in case I should need it?

4. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    When did she kid? That colostrum is great to have in freezer! Yes you can freeze the actual milk for later use too.

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    would she adopt those ones you said the mother rejected?

6. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    I have tried to put the rejected babies on her but she wouldn't nurse them...she kidded Monday night at about 8:30.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with everything said....

If she can take on babies... that would be great..... if not...as mentioned... you will have to watch her udder and milk her...as needed.... don't feed grain..or high quality hay.......unless you want to keep her in milk... The colostrum is precious and milking her and keeping it for future needs.... is a good thing....if you do.... write on the freezer baggy....... the date you collected it..... Again... I am sorry for your losses :hug:

8. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Held her against the fence and got some colostrum in a baggie and also put the bottle baby on her...she allowed the baby to nurse as long as I restrained her against the fence...will try do that a few more times...whew!!! That's a lot of work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Or, goat milk is wonderful, you could milk her and have milk for the winter,

Jan

10. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    That sounds promising! Keep up the good work, you know in a few days you might not have to restrain the doe...today put some of her milk on babies head & tail, even afterbirth or her bloody discharge so that the kid smell is more like her own. You just may have a successful grafting!

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hope it works ....keep it up....even if... you have to hold the Doe for the kid.....it is all worth it...and really good for the baby....and her..... as she will hopefully bond with the baby..... remember to alternate back and forth from teat to teat....so she doesn't get to tight.... you will have to keep an eye on that and may have to milk her some if the kid can't keep up with her supply... :wink: :hug:

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    one thing I have found is if a doe is in milk but has no kids on her and I have a rejected kid I need to bottle feed or supplement I MAKE that mom feed that kid. No use having me do all the work. I put mom on the milking stand (or tie to fence) and I bring the kid over and the kid nurses. Does hate it but usually with some food to keep them happy in the milking stand they get use to it and allow the kid to nurse.

If you dont want to do this you can always milk her and use the milk to bottle feed the kid. This way you dont have to buy milk or milk replacer and the doe's milk doesnt go to waste.

Everyone must pull their own weight I say

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would definately be trying to get that kid on her...or even as Stacey said, milk her 2x a day and use it for the kid but I personally would be getting that kid to nurse.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Any luck on her taking that baby? One year I had a baby that mom rejected (long story), but what I did as soon as the next one kidded I took the baby, put the placenta on the baby and rubbed her all over the backend of the mom that just kidded. It smelled like her own so she took it on. It helped that she was a first time mom.

15. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    No haven't had any luck with her...the only way she will a kid nurse is if I hold her down.

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    keep holding her, she'll learn that she has to nurse.
    It usually take 5 days or so

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Katrina....keep trying..... sometimes it takes a while.... and sometimes it will never work.... but... it is worth a shot.... :hug:

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she may never willingly allow a kid to nurse but like I said its better then milking her and then bottle feeding - holding her saves a step ;)