doe with 106.5 temp

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Apr 17, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok, so this is the same doe scarlet, a couple of weeks ago I wrote to you guys saying she was dumpy and had a high fever, well again today she was dumpy again and took her temp and it is high again.....I gave her 2 shots of la 200. No sign of chest infection this time but I noticed the last couple of days she has had a which discharge comeing from her Vagina.....Does not smell, looks like she is in heat but it is white, there is not alot of it either. I dont know if this has anything to do with it or not. SOOOOO I have her in with the babies again. SHe is real sunk in like she hasent been eating. Her eyelids are a little pale, better than they were before. So she has had a shot of Vit B, Thiamine, Probios, and I am gonna go give her some red cell. Anything else. I am out of La 200 so I was thinking of getting a shot of nuflor or just do plain ol penn G since LA dident seem to keep it away. HELP!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    nuflor is good.

Sorry you are dealing with this again. I wish I had an answer but I don't. I will see if i can find anything in my vet book on this.

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That's too bad- I hate it when you think you've fixed something and it comes back.
    The only idea I can think of is to do a longer course of antibiotics as this seems to be hard to shed.

4. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok so i got a couple of doses of Nuflor and banamine. This should HOPEFULLY clean it out! Oh this poor doe, i dont know what is up with her. I mean she is a laid back doe but this is rediculous! lets cross our fingers this helps it!

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Ok, I need to be refreshed on this, (I read on to many different places and I can not keep them all straight).
    Did she kid this year? How long ago did she start getting sick?

6. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok last night I was too tired to post, but here is something I figured out..... I ran around and got all the medication, got home probably about 11 or so. Went out and before I gave her anything I took her temp again.... it was 103.5 ......... So during the middle of the day she is at 106.5 and at night after dark she was 103.5???????? So I gave her a shot of nuflor any ways but didnt do the banamine. She has not kidded this year, might be bred, she was sick about 2-3 weeks ago, same thing pale eyelids, lethargic, not eating, temp. I mean she is obviously not feeling good but the whole temp thing is throwing me off.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree the temp thing is really weird. I do think I would do the Nuflor. Just make sure you give it for 5-7 days and that it is the correct dose amount. As you know, not doing those is as bad as not giving anything at all.

Good Luck. So how is she doing today? Is she drinking enough water? I would make sure she has fresh water and maybe some with a little Electrolytes.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The temp being that high is odd, being that it is high mid- day and normal at night and she's pretty much being a normal goat otherwise, and being possibly anemic, wth the pale lids...anemia will cause lethargy in animals just like it does with people. How is your weather? Is it really warm at mid-day? I was thinking that if the weather is hot and she's "lazy" and laying in the heat, her temp would be up and as it cools off , it would also bring her temp down...I would provide some sort of iron supplement as well as possibly have a fecal done and treat for the parasites found there. Just a quick way to see if the weather has anything to do with the spike in her temp, check the temps on a few other goats and see if there is a difference on them as nightfalls also. :shrug: just my 2cents.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    good point about checking other does.........her change in deminor may not be due to a high temp but something else - anemia - and by checking the other does you can see how high their temps are in relation to hers.