The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Goat Lover
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 1/2 year old doe, she kidded in January. I milk her. Everything was fine and then 2 days ago she hardly ate on the milking stand, then yesterday she didn't eat at all (no grain, hay, chaffhaye) she is drinking.
I took her temp yesterday it was 102. She started with green really soft poop yesterday. Oh I gave her probios (rumen is working)
Today she has a temp of 105 this morning still not eating anything, rumen still working. Her behavior is slow just walking around wanting to be petted and loved.
I took her temp tonight it is 106! still has almost watery green poop, still not eating.
I gave her a 81mg asprin again and some more probios and bounce back in her water. I do not know what in the world is wrong with her or what to do about this. Can anyone help me and give me any advise on what to do for my Electra??? :confused:
She is on an herbal wormer weekly, her eyes are real pink.

·
14,615 Posts
Banamine for fever, 1ml per 100lbs SQ.
Do you have any biomycin? Nuflor? LA 200? She's going to need that as well.

·
Goat Lover
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any of that. I know the Banamine is for fever right? But what is the other stuff for?

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
I agree with Nancy..get some Banamine in her and antibiotic started...B complex for a boost..I would also give her cd antitoxin since she is runny...

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
No Banamin..then give Two adult aspirin..not tylanol or ibphine...plain aspirin...yes its for fever..the others are antibiotic...what do you have on hand...

·
Goat Lover
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the B complex, cd antitoxin but... None of the other.
So what do you think is wrong with her? I would really like to have some kind of an idea of what I would be treating her with antibiotics for.

·
Super Moderator
59,745 Posts
Unfortunately, it could be so many things that it would be hard to guess what the problem is. Since she has such a high fever, I wouldn't hesitate on the antibiotics unless you can get a vet or very experienced goat person to come and physically look at her. Someone experienced who can physically look at her would probably have a better idea what is wrong.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
How was her milk production leading up to this? Equal on both sides? Smell and taste OK? I don't quite get the diarrhea and a fever. If she were mine, I would start her on Nuflor in case it's pneumonia. I know Nuflor will also cure at least one kind of mastitis as well, because I had a milker do pretty much the same thing as yours is doing last year and it turned out to be mastitis. But I don't remember my doe having diarrhea and I was in the process of trying to dry her up. I would get some banamine if her fever persists.

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
Ok I would give both the B complex and cd antitoxin for the stress of being ill and the runs..cd antitoxin help keep toxins from building in the rumen....when a goat gets fever it is for a few things..injury, infection or illness...if she has no infection and no injury we assume she is ill..upper respitory infection or Pneuomina is suspected..there for she needs antibiotics for five to seven days...

·
14,615 Posts
Did she get into chicken feed, wet grass anything you can think of?
She needs anitbiotics.
Biomycin, LA 200, Agrimycin are all at the feed store.
She needs anibiotics.

·
Goat Lover
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so I thought I had cd antitoxin, but what I have is: tetanus antitoxin, Bovi-sera, cdt toxoid. B complex
Her milking has been great up until the day she started this (day before yesterday) yes equal on both sides (her right side right at the top of the teat had a ball like thing that moved and when it was all milked out it was gone. I always use a strip cup and haven't noticed any clumps or blood or anything odd. Her milk smell and taste was the same. I have been milking her out and tossing it since this started and her milk production is WAY low.
The only antibiotic I have is Penn G and it is 10pm so all is closed.

·
Goat Lover
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tenacross - How are we supposed to learn from each other if we don't ask for advise? And also antibiotics are over used a lot so I am just trying to understand what everyone might think is the culprit before I treat with it and for my future knowledge.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Tenacross - How are we supposed to learn from each other if we don't ask for advise? And also antibiotics are over used a lot so I am just trying to understand what everyone might think is the culprit before I treat with it and for my future knowledge.
I suggested pneumonia and mastitis as possibilities. We don't know for sure what is wrong with her. We aren't vets and we can't see her. Broad spectrum antibiotics can save a goat. High fever often means infection. Sooner is usually better than later.

·
14,615 Posts
We simply dont know the cause. Most of us do not use anitbitoics unless there IS a problem, even if we havent figured out what exactly what the culprit might be.
10pm at your place. See, they never pick regular hours to come up with something. This is NOT chiding you at all, but it's why we try to have some things on hand. ;)

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
I agree with Tennacross use the pen G ..get her going on antibiotics...if you have any reg. adult aspirin..give her two...just crush it and add enough water to drench it..and give the B complex which is a good support vit.

I dont mind getting asked why...I think its good to learn why we treat in certain ways....too many vets say do this do that and we follow blindly...and many times our goats die..finding out why we use certain meds helps us learn for the next time..it is why this forum is so successful..we are teaching each other...;)

·
Goat Lover
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok I took temp again it is 105. I treated her with asprin and b complex and penn g. I also tested her with my cmt test kit and it said neg. for mastisis (is that test accurate?)

Nancy - I know its not chiding me, I thought I had some good stuff on hand hahaha guess I was wrong. Plus I have only been doing goats since September 2012. And there are so many different antibiotics out there so I haven't a clue which one is good, or where to get it. :)

Happybleats, I agree with you.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Ok I took temp again it is 105. I treated her with asprin and b complex and penn g. I also tested her with my cmt test kit and it said neg. for mastisis (is that test accurate?)
Good job. If she was mine, I would give her another dose of Pen in the morning and set out to find a vet. (Unless she is now 100% better and that can happen )Tell the vet everything you've done without shame. Don't leave the vet without banamine in your pocket.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts