The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend that can no longer have goats gave a really sweet doe w 4 teats. Shes never had kids before. Are the teats going to be an issue when she kids? My goats are not show goats. She looks to be part Nubian part boer

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'm not sure if it is the same with all Boer registries but the one my 50% does I had were with allowed many different formations of 2 and 4 teats, and the Boers seem to do fine raising their kids. As long as the teats are functional it shouldn't be an issue for raising babies but if you are aiming for dairy it is a serious fault, and could make it tougher to sell her kids if someone wants to buy them for dairy.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Multiple teats can be a real problem if you are not there to help the kid find the right one - especially in winter kiddings with a first timer. I've lost kids due to multiple teats, even after I helped the kid find the right one. What kind of structure are her teats, do you know?

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
Here at our farm a doe with 4 "functioning"teats is great for multiples.
But again only if all 4 have milk chanels. So there is no confusion for kids between which teat to suck for milk
:)

Oh and we have Boer goats!

·
Goat Lover
386 Posts
My Boer cross doe has quite a few "teats"... I inspected them a little bit because I was worried. After further inspection I noticed they were like huge skin tags. Not actual teats, they don't hold milk or anything. Her three kids had no trouble eating. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow sometime.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How could I find out if they were all functioning? I would have to breed her right? To get milk out. Ill see if I can get some epics tomorrow

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Are the teat well separated? Fish? Ect?

I have never had an issue with kids dying, because they nursed from the dummy teat. After so old they will know that is isn't working and go to the other.

Shortly after birth, I teach all kids the teat, to ensure they are well started, that should always be done. I monitor and check bellies to make sure, they are full and not empty. With new babies, we all need to watch them for a while, making sure, they are getting what they need. At least until they are stronger and can get around well, finding the teat with no issues. That way, there won't be loss. ;)

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Almost all of my previous Boers that had the extras had non-functioning extras. Never had a problem with the kids finding the right teat. Usually they would suck a few times on the bad one, figure out no milk came from it and move on. I did have a doe whose extras functioned, but she did not have 4 equal quarters to her udder. The front ones just barely had a squirt or two in them, so they were basically non-functioning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts