Doe with Bloody Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ALBoerGoats, Sep 29, 2020.

1. ALBoerGoats

ALBoerGoats Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015
    Hanna started having diarrhea the day before yesterday. I went ahead and dewormed her with both Ivermectin and prohibit yesterday. Diarrhea is worse today and now has bloody mucus in it. I gave her probiotics and pepto. She has no fever and her eyelids look fine. She is eating and drinking but has lost a bunch of weight. Her doelings are doing fine.

Vet said to start her on some prophylactic antibiotics in case there is an infection starting.

The other thing that comes to mind would be Cocci. Should I start her on treatment for that as well? Poor girl has gone downhill fast weight wise. 20200929_100601.jpg

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What is her temp?

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. ALBoerGoats

Dec 26, 2015
  4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    How old is her kids? Could blood be flushing still from kidding

5. ALBoerGoats

Dec 26, 2015
    Kids are 3 weeks old. I decided to just go ahead and start coccidia treatment on all 3 as a precaution. I was thinking it was the regular discharge at first but it is definitely coming from her rectum.

6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    . Does can flush up to 6 weeks and some longer. Hopefully the coccidia treatment helps. Thats a lot of blood. Did you start antibiotics?

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    If it's coming from her rectum could be cocci but also could be a bacterial infection. IMO I would do the cocci meds since your starting them (a fecal would have been very helpful though), and try giving her Spectogard for a few days and see if that helps. Watch her kids for any signs of issues. Did you start antibiotics? If so what did you use?

8. ALBoerGoats

Dec 26, 2015
    Yes, I shouldve done a fecal. But my vet was unavailable so I am going to take her a sample tomorrow so she can do one. Hopefully that will tell us something. She had me start her on 3ml of Naxcel daily for 3-5 days. I started that today. I was going to do SQ fluids but she was so mad at me already I decided to wait until tomorrow if she looks like she needs them. She is still drinking at the moment so that is a good sign.

9. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I'm sure you vet is 100% correct. Anytime there is a blood loss I give red cell to help. Also the.probios to help the stomach. I agree the cocci meds will help.

MadHouse likes this.
  10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Definitely try the Spectogard for the scouring and just in case it's bacterial it may also help get her in the right direction. I've seen some bacterial type infections do this over the years in adults and kids, and the Spectogard got them going in the right direction.
    I have not used Naxcel, so have no experience with it but I sure hope all this helps her bounce back quickly. Again... Spectogard if you haven't tried it!

11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    It is also known as excede or excenel.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All great advice, cannot add more.

Hope she responds quickly and gets better soon.
    Sorry she is having issues. :(

13. ALBoerGoats

Dec 26, 2015
    Hanna is doing better today! No more diarrhea. Her poop is soft but almost formed. No more blood either!

14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California