Doe with bloody pooch but wasn't pregnant?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bheila, Jul 20, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    So here's the deal...
    Pepper was supposed to be bred in January and the last day she was with the buck was January 24th. Which would make her due if she was bred on the 24th at the latest, June 23rd according to the chart I was just looking at.

I suspected she wasn't bred so at the end of May I pulled her blood and sent it in to have it tested. They said she was open. I also pulled one of my other does blood Daisy and she was also open.

I went out to feed the goats this morning and Pepper has blood on her rear end like she gave birth :shocked: I know she's not pregnant so why does she have blood all over her? I didn't find any kids, placenta or sac. The only explaination I can come up with is maybe she had a false pregnancy :shrug: The only reason I'm suspecting a false pregnancy is because I just went through the same thing with Daisy last month.

Pepper's eating, pooping and peeing just the same as usual and her temp is normal.

Now if Pepper did have a false pregnancy how weird is it that 2 of my does would have them? Both girls came from different farms and were bred to different bucks :scratch:

I really need your guys thoughts on this :scratch:

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    very weird :shrug: I know sometimes certain clover species can interfere with reproduction but I havent heard of them causing false pregnancies ... :scratch:

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

A friend of mine had a doe do the same thing. But she was never confirmed bred or open. She wasnt in with a buck but the buck pen does ajoin their doe pen we thought it was a miscarriage and a buck had bred her through the fence. :question:
    beth

4. citylights

citylights New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    That's a new one, unless she has an infection of some sort... a false preg shouldn't have any discharge?

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    With a false pregnancy it's the same as a real one except no kids or placenta, only a sac forms. The doe will still have discharge afterwards like a normal pregnancy/birth.

6. citylights

citylights New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    That's a new one to me!

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Some will call it a"cloudburst" pregnancy....a sac forms and there is no baby inside, the doe will "deliver" a water filled sac and nothing more. She will "clean out" as if it was a normal pregnancy.