The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've got this doe that we just can't get healthy. Lately she's been wormed and treated for coccidiosis twice. The wife took a fecal to the vet late last week and they said it checked out fine. Any idea what could be wrong with her?

FYI we've been giving her red cell daily and probiotics on occasion.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
What has been going on and what exactly have you done for her?

I have found Replamin Plus to be a great supplement.

What size goat and what does she weigh?

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
it would be helpful to know her age and her size...
How long has she been unthrifty?
When you had the fecal done..did they check for cocci?
Daily Probis is good..Vit B Complex is a nice support during stress
You are giving red cell..is it because she is anemic?

When a goat has the runs its either dietary, worm issue or disease such as Johnes..
A healthy dose of Pepto with sooth her tummy and help dry her up..this does not fix the cause, only the runs...so ...
What is she fed, how much and how often?
any changes in feed lately? increases on the amount given?
any plant on property she has been endulging in? possable poisonous plants?
has she been tested for CAE and Johnes disease?

·
Registered
36 Posts
She is a yearling, probably year and a half (best guess without looking at her papers). She is on the smaller side because she had kids young. Both kids have died, one even had a blood transfusion for the anemia, but still died. She has been in this condition over a month.

She would score a 1 on FAMANCHA. Actually whiter than the card at one. She has a body condition score of 2 on bad days and 3 on good days on 10 point scale.

Treated for worms and Coccidia. Last fecal said no evidence of parasites or Coccidia.

We discussed johnes, but decided to give her another week on red cell, b complex, and probiotics first before testing because the likelihood is low. She is not ever kept near our cows and has never been in a pasture that they have ever been in.

On Saturday the diarrhea got much worse. Of course, when I called the vet, he is it of town all week. Only gone when he is needed. My luck. Another vet at the clinic is supposed to call me, but I have little confidence in the other vets, except his wife which I am sure is with him.

She does have free choice goat mineral, which I do see her eat. Our area is more deficient in selenium, copper and zinc. This mineral provides these at the level needed here.

She has free choice hay, browse, and pasture. She does eat some of all, but not as much as I would like. She has no access to toxic plants. Would be odd for her to eat something toxic since she has so many options anyway.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Ok so if her famancha score is a 1-ish..then she really does not need red cell...which is great!! Too much red cells could complicate her runs..

No worm issue would leave dietary or illness or disease...
she could have bacteria Diarrhea..which Neomycin would be good for. I believe its 1 1/2 cc twice a day for three days..followed by 3-5 days of Probiotics...
E coli, Salmonellosis ....
I would keep her on C D Antitoxin until she firms up, pepto to sooth and dry, Electrolytes to keep her hydrated..The graze is perfect...

here is a link to guide you through a few things that can cause the runs ..
http://goat-link.com/content/view/50/92/#.UhJrf2SDQxc

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry, 5 not 1. Mix up the numbers if not looking at the card. She is a white as a sheet of paper. I worried that the red cell might be bothering her tummy, but may be what is keeping her alive.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Neomycin is an oral antibiotic...its the only one safe for oral use...and kills gut related bacteria like e coli...

its important also to find why she is so anemic.... Worms are usually the problem. Worms shed eggs in cycles so the sample you had tested may have be clean of eggs..but she could still be loaded with worms..I would either have another fecal done...maybe a few from different collection dates or I might be tempted to send a sample to a lab for a better look...
other than worms..anemia can be caused by internal injury, which you would be aware of I think, poison..either something laying around or plants...

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
If she was wormed, it sounds like the wormer may not have killed the worms effectively. On top of red cell, as suggested, I would also duggest blackstrap molasses and alfalfa pellets, which replenish red cell supply. Medicinal (40,000 HU) cayenne pepper also helps with this. So sorry about your girl. It's been a very hard year for most it seems. I have one who who was runny and just cleared up -- the other I think I am making progress with, but not normal pellets yet. No fun at all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yay! Vets wife, also vet (other vet I trust) called me back. She said now that the worms are gone, the bacteria is going hay wire. Have me a shot of nuflor and told me to give lots of Probiotics to replenish good bacteria. Prayers that this gets her turned around finally. I think she likes being a "yard goat" though instead of being out with the herd.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Always do a full 5 day course of antibiotics..Nuflor is great meds..I give once daily.

Also when a goat is heavy burdened with worms ...if the wormer kills them off too fast they sit in the gut and become toxic...the goat cant get rid of them fast enough....C D Antitoxin helps kill the toxins..if you dont have it or cant find any Milk of magnesia can help 15 cc per 60#

best wishes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts