Doe with diarrhea :(

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by OKSara, Sep 19, 2020.

1. OKSara

OKSara Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Coleman, OK
    Check on my heard this morning and I’ve got a doe with diarrhea(she was good yesterday). She is eating and drinking normally. I’ve brought her to the barn away from the rest. She was wormed with Ivermectin 7 days ago, food has not been changed, fresh water everyday, and her kids have been weened from her for 30 days today. I’ve given her hay and electrolytes in her water. What else do I do for her?

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    How old? Check rectal temp and FAMACHA score.

What color is the diarrhea?

Why did you worm with ivermectin?

3. OKSara

OKSara Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Coleman, OK
    She’s 3 years old. Rectal temp was good her score was low but she has color.
    its dark brown greenish.
    It’s what our vet recommended and gave me dosages for. Last round she got Safeguard.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Round? Why were you deworming was my question, not why you used ivermectin sorry for the lack of clarity. Was there a symptom or indication she needed worming? Can you list all the worming she has received in the past 6 months?

Oh and to be clear, get a fecal test for worms and coccidia asap.

5. OKSara

OKSara Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Coleman, OK
    I just took a fecal in for all my goats a month ago and was told to Safeguard all of them and check again. I took them in last Monday and the vet said everyone was good but this doe. He gave instructions to change wormers and give it to her again.
    I bought her in July. Thought she was skinny because she had twins nursing. Wasn’t gaining weight well so I took a fecal to the vet. I gave her safeguard on July 27 again 10 days later. Then last Saturday I gave her ivermectin

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Safeguard doesn't work for every breeder.

Ivomec was good to give, then 10 days later. Maybe a 3rd time.

Doing a fecal in 10 days, before you worm her, would be wise, do it for worms and cocci.

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Was there any coccidia on the fecal?