Doe with eating disorder!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by oldmacg, Jul 12, 2010.

1. oldmacg

oldmacg New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Just got my goats back from my neighbors where they were ridding her of blackberries, and my doe seems to be hoarding food. She is picking up leaves, grasses etc..., not chewing them but just holding them in her front teeth. that's what it looks like she's doing. She gets such a big compressed wad in there and the excess is hanging out of the corners of her mouth. she can't work it back to her molars to chew it. So i've been pulling it out. She also seems to have partially chewed food stuck in the roof of her mouth. . I took her to the vet to see if she had something stuck in her mouth/throat and he pulled out a very large wad of food that was hanging down her throat. she swallows ok , and if given very small amounts at a time seems to chew properly and swallow. But left on her own she seems to have no control. the vet thinks she may be having trouble with her teeth due to their alignment.
    i'm wondering if she wasn't being bullied by the other goats during their stay at the neighbors. they were in a much smaller area than they have here.
    any ideas? anybody else have this happen?

thanks in advance. great site!!!

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    It sounds like your vet is probably correct.... proper alignment is very important for this reason. You may need to feed her pellet mashes if she can't properly chew her food. :(

Sorry about your girl. :( Is she loosing weight?? Do her teeth just need to be filed or did he specifically say its her tooth/jaw alignment?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my horse sometiems just grabs at grass so fast and for so long and he doesnt chew it and it falls out his mouth I have to MAKE him stop and chew. Btu my goats tend to be better about it unless its their first time out in a browse situation and they are afraid they wont get any if they dont grab at it all real fast.

I would try putting her out in a grazing/browse situation for a little bit each day and up the time as she seems to acclimate to it better and realizes she can eat at her own pace

4. oldmacg

oldmacg New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    thanks for the input. the alignment problem with her teeth is that instead of them aligning back to front there are 3 next to each other from her palate to her cheek. so, she apparently has extras. she is approx. 6 years old. i've had her for three years. so, the vet wants me to go to the university and have some xrays in case it's an abscess or they just need to be extracted. he's not comfortable pulling her teeth.
    i'm also just trying to keep her alone so she can graze comfortably. am feeding her pellets also.

5. nadlemgarcia

nadlemgarcia New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    I appreciate the fact that even humans are concerned with the oral hygiene of the animals. I think that is something humane.

6. oldmacg

oldmacg New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    taking her to Corvalis on tuesday for xrays, exam. in the meantime giving her alfalfa cube slurry, and pellets in small amounts.