Doe with fever

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Mary Thomas, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Mary Thomas

Mary Thomas New Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Hello again,
    I have another problem, Delila gave birth Monday afternoon, kids good, she looked good, ate, drank her molases water like normal. All was good. One thing we could not find her bags, she had the kids out in the pasture and could not find the placenta sacks. Tuesday evening she munched at little at her feed, drank my electrolite mix (2tsp salt,1tsp baking soda, 1/2 cup karo syrup, 1 gal water). Wednsday progressively getting worse, she did drink a little electrolites but now off feed. Also running a fever 104.5, gave her 5cc shot of PenG, drenched with more electrolites and 2oz. of power punch. Made her get up and move around some, she peed and pooped berries but you can tell she is hurting. This morning gave another shot of PenG 5cc, again she drank a littly electrolites, plus drenched her with more electrolites and 2.5oz of power punch, she would not get up today.
    I've got a call into the vet to get some Banamine but, if he does not get back with me by lunch can I give her anything from over the counter to reduce the fever? And is the PenG ok or should I use LA200?
    Thanks, again.

Mary Ann
    2TDM Boer Goats
    South Texas

2. Mary Thomas

Mary Thomas New Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Forgot, she had trips each 5lbs.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She may of ate her bag...some Does do that and it is really good for them....

Also sometimes ...it gets hidden under hay or bedding ...you have to check closely...

Are you sure ...she is finished kidding... if you didn't see the bag hanging out ....check her for another kid in there... see if the canal is still open... if the kid is dead inside.. she may not get the urge to push...

how did she smell back there.. any foul odor?

If she is progressively going down each day and the pen isn't doing her any good...and she is given the proper dosage...I recommend taking her to the vet....

4. Mary Thomas

Mary Thomas New Member

Feb 21, 2010
    No, her back end looked clean, no bad odor as of yesterday. I don't believe she had a 4th baby inside but I will check her out when I go home for lunch. It's almost noon and the vet hasn't called. Typical of this vet, not much help.

Mary Ann
    2TDM Boer Goats
    South Texas

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I had that happen and I was able to go in and pull out another baby. If she is running a temp that High I would say she needs antibiotics and now.

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    You need to go in and check to see if her cervix is still dilated... if so..she may have another kid in there or she may have retained the placenta. She will need oxytocin (only if she is still dilated) I would also be giving her Pen G 2x per day (1cc per 15 lbs of body weight or switch her to BioMycin. 1 cc per 20 lbs of body weight 1 x per day. Give her some calcium and some B12 complex as well. Is she shaking at all??? If she is definitely blanket her.