The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two sick does one has a fever 103 not eating well I gave her a shot of pen is how many times a day do I give her pen.

Then I have a doe with the run low grade fever I gave her sulfamet pepto and a small drench of
electro lights what else should I be doing for her any help would be great.

·
14,615 Posts
103 isn't a terribly high temp. If she isn't eating this would be more of a concern.
Fortified B shot would be in order.
Good call on the electrolytes!
How's her rumen?
You can give her probiotics, the cattle stuff.
Please describe more what's going on with her.
Eyelid color? Are eyes sunken in? Is she dehydrated?

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
one has a fever 103 not eating well I gave her a shot of pen is how many times a day do I give her pen.
normal temp range is 101.5 and 103.5...
103 is upper half of normal...
Penicillin is 1 cc per 20# Sub Q once a day for 5 days..be sure to pull back pluncher..if you see blood..re adjust and try again..no blood means good to go.
other than not eating well if she pooping berries and peeing, active or lethargic..how is her body language?? standing away from herd, hunched back, or grazing and normal??
Then I have a doe with the run low grade fever I gave her sulfamet pepto and a small drench of
electro lights what else should I be doing for her any help would be great.
here is a link to help you do score the eye color
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.UhRCs2SDQxc
What was her temp??
Pepto is great to sooth the tummy and dry the bum.../You began sulmet..I would do a full five days of that...
What is her body language doing??
A fecal would be a good idea..

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The doe not eating is standing in a corner by her self she does not want any thing to do with anyone her eyes are light pink she has a cough too

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Awe...poor gal must feel bad...A temp would be great but because of the coughing and her body language telling you she feels bad I would begin antibiotics on her...Tylan 200 is my OTC choice medication for Pneunomia, which is what she may have...1 cc per 25# 2x day sub Q, expect a reaction,it does sting, get her moving to help...Nuflor from the vet would be my first choice 3 cc per 100# sub Q once a day...

On her pale eyes...begin Red Cell 6 cc per 100# daily for a week then once a week until good color returns, Vit B 12 also helps her rebuild her red blood cells along with high protein feed, alfalfa and green leaves...offer her the electrolytes to keep her hydrated...
Have a fecal done see what worm you are dealing with or begin Ivomec plus 1 cc per 40# sub Q, expect a reaction,,it does sting..get her moving after the shot to help with that

1 - 9 of 9 Posts