The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My doe has a fever of 105.8. She did not eat her hay or grain tonight. I noticed she looked a little bloated yesterday so I gave her some baking soda but she is quite a bit more bloated today, also her poop was dark green. I also gave her a dose of herbal wormer yesterday thinking it might have been worms. It is really hot here but I checked the temp of my other doe and hers was only 103.7. her vulva is slightly swollen, I am thinking she may be in heat. Any idea as to what this could be????? Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Green stool is usually dietary. I would get C&D Antitoxin or Milk of Magnesia into her ASAP. I would also give her a shot of Banamine to help bring down the temp. Some Probios and a B Complex shot would be good too. Also offer her electrolyte water.

Taking a fecal sample in would be good too. Make sure they include coccidia.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do I do cd and milk of magnesia?? I have both of them. She is pretty lethargic looking and now her poop is diarrhea.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Is it C&D Antitoxin or the vaccine? If you have C&D Antitoxin, I would use that. if you don't have the antitoxin, then use MOM.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
herbal dewormers are not actually dewormers. They make a hostile environment in which worms find it to difficult to survive in and that happens over time. For actually de worming you wanna go with a chemical de wormer and after the suggested doses, start up on the herbal to keep the animals worm free.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I called the vet and they said to give her 5mL penicillin. She is still really hot, so we hosed her off. I am going to wait and see if the penicillin works. What will milk of magnesia help with? I thought it was just a laxative.m

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
MOM helps with toxins in the rumen. It can take the place of the C&D Antitoxin if you don't have it.

Only hose off her legs and belly. You don't want to hose the whole goat. But it was a good thing you did that.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
MOM will help bind toxins building in her rumen...her stool will be soft or runy but let it run its course...C D Antitoxin is a better choice but MOM works well...Its 15cc per 60#...
If she is not feeling better tomorrow grab a better antibiotic...Nulfor (rx) or Tylan 200 (otc) are better choices when you are dealing with Upper respitory infections...be sure to take a peek at her inner lower eye lids for color...they should be deep pink to red...if they arepale she will need anemia treatment asap
I owuld also give B complex for support , offer her green leaves and hay and alfalfa...No feed until she is pooping berries...also keepingher hydrated will make a huge difference...here is a good recipe for home made electos

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or what ever you have on hand or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay I will try to give her the molasses water tonight but I am going to wait until morning for the MOM. She was just sleeping when I last went down there and she ate quite a few green leaves for dinner. And the penicillin is one of the brands you mentioned. Thanks so much, I just feel like this came out of nowhere!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What would the anemia treatment be? Both my does eyelids are a little pale but I am going to worm the sick doe heavily tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
You can get injectable iron or Red Cell which is oral.

If you can get a fecal done first to include coccidia, that would be better than just deworming.

Just an FYI, I had fecals done on all my girls today. They all have dark pink eyelids which the vet confirmed. One of my girls had a heavier barberpole load that the vet felt I should treat. So by the time they are anemic, they have had a heavy parasite load for a while. Needless to say, I will be treating my girl tomorrow so it doesn't get worse.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I agree...By the time we see pale lids worms have set up house keeping for a while, a fecal will give you a heads up on what worm you are dealing with. With a heavy burdened goat you want to be sure to use wormer as instructed, so if its a injected wormer like Ivomec plus then please inject it...Giving an injectable or pour on as an oral to heavy loaded goat can cause bleed out, when a ton of worms detatch at once and leave small holes that bleed out and worm toxcity which is when a load of worms were killed at once and now sit in the gut and rot..this can end badly...I know we want rid of the worms but slow is better when they are heavy..I prefer Ivomec plus or valbazen since it kill many kinds of worms. Ivomec plus is 1 cc per 40# sub q ..Valbazen 1 cc per 10# I do 3 times 10 days apart then once more in 30 days if I have a heavey loaded goats..
for anemia
Red cell is 6 cc per 100# daily for week then once a week until good color returns. I like to double day one just to give a good kick start...
Vit B 12 or B complex PLUS daily
lots of green leaves, alfalfa and high proien feed to help her rebuild red blood cells..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts