The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe that has a little lump on her left cheack. It is soft and squishy. I'm really worried it might be CL... I can not afford to take her to the vet and get it tested. Is there anything I could do at home for her if it is CL?

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
It could also be a tooth abscess. These can take awhile to go away. If it was further back towards her throat I would be more concerned about CL. Let it runs its course. If this abscess comes to a head I would separate the doe and either lance it or when it bursts glove up and squeeze it all out then I would treat it as you would an open wound and treat her with antibiotics. then bleach the area where you cleaned out the wound so no one else comes in contact with it.

·
LDS homeschool mom of 6
73 Posts
can I hijack a moment to ask about my doe so as not to start another thread about this? I noticed a few days ago a large abscess on her jaw directly under her right ear that looks a lot like the submandibular location of CL. She is skittish and hard to catch, so I haven't palpated the cyst.

Now what? Vet? Cull?

·
1,524 Posts
I had a doe who had something similar, same place, soft and squishy. It was a salivary cyst. I had it drained (it was full of spit) but it came back. I just left it after that and she was fine. It stayed there for life.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Soft and squishy is not CL. I would think cyst or abscess. You could try a poultice on it like ice tight and try to draw it out if its an abscess. Poultice definitely won't hurt. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
14,570 Posts
^^^Thats what I would do as well especially if the hair has not come off, if cl, the puss is too thick to come out so gives you KINDA a idea if its cl or not.

·
LDS homeschool mom of 6
73 Posts
Soft and squishy is not CL. I would think cyst or abscess. You could try a poultice on it like ice tight and try to draw it out if its an abscess. Poultice definitely won't hurt. Good luck.
Doesn't CL get softer and squishy as it approaches bursting? I am waiting for my doe's to soften up to take her to the vet to get lanced and tested. It is definitely changing the past few days, softening in the center, so I am taking her tomorrow/Friday to make sure it doesn't burst over the weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.