Doe with mastitis, hole in bag.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mistyblue, Jul 2, 2009.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I had a lady contact me a week ago about a pygmy doe that she has. This doe is approx. 5yrs old never been bred, but she says that the doe goes through a false pregancy every year.

This doe has really bad mastitis, hard to the touch, very swollen, almost dragging the ground. I tried to milk it out but it is just so hard and compacted. I advised her to put hot compresses on the bag for ten minutes, then massage the whole bag with peppermint oil lotion, and give a tablespoon of apple cider vinager every day. In a week we would see if it had loosened up enough to milk, if not off to the vet she would go.

She called stating that the bag now has a finger size hole in the side, it is just clear liquid coming out. I am thinking it is an abcess that the hot compress brought to the surface.
    Does anyone have any ideals or thoughts on this and what we could be doing different to help loosen the mastitis enough to milk out?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is there any way to get an infusion of antibiotics into the teats? The hole does sound like the infection coming through...a visit to the vet would be advisable as this poor doe can very well end up with gangrene of the udder.
    Advising her to do ther massage and compresses was the right thing to do, but now it does seem that seeing the vet would be beneficial in saving her as the infection spread throughout her system.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Liz....I am concerned as well ...and she has an actual eruption whole....I recommend taking her to a vet..... :hug:

4. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    The hole is big enough to put your fingertip into, I have not seen it yet, will be going this afternoon to look at her.

The owner is out of town on vacation and has someone else looking after the doe for her, she called me from out of town and advised me of this situation. As for an infusion, on this I do not have a clue what to do or even what to use, so any advice would be appreciated.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH poor baby. I bet she is hurting so bad.

I agree witht he others, she needs a vet soon. Has anyone gotten a temp on her yet?

6. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    No temp yet, the owner is out of town for another week. Anything to be done and I will have to do it for her. Like I said I will be going over there this afternoon and assessing the situation, then do what I can for the little girl.

Should we cover the wound or leave it open. Honestly if this was a horse I would clean it everyday and leave it open depending on how deep it was.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Do you have the right to take the goat to the Vet? Will you be reimbursed if you do?

I really can not even pretend that I know anything else to do because I have never had a situation like this. Good luck and she is lucky to have you there for her.

8. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I dont know if I would be reimbursed or not. I have no problem helping someone who needs it out as much as I can.

I will medicate and see how bad the hole is and work from that I guess.

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    By infusion, I mean a mastitis treatment like Today.....it is for lactating animals and even though this doe has never freshened she still has made an udder. If you have a Tractor Supply close by I know that they carry it...or just about any other farm store would.

10. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    Leave the wound open to air.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I would leave it open, get all the gumk out. if its an abcess, it will need to drain.
    beth