The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 17-month-old Nigerian dwarf doe experiencing some neurological symptoms. Two weeks ago I noticed a large patch of fur missing from her neck. We’ve had some issues with mites over the summer so I begin treatment with permethrin. She developed more patches on her face and around her ears. Two evenings ago I noticed she was wobbly in her hind quarters. The following morning the wobbling was worse and she seemed to have lost her vision. She could see my fingers moving in front of her face, but not much more. Her head tilts sideways and she finds me by following my voice. She’s eating and drinking and doesn’t seem to be in distress. I let my goat herd graze in our old horse pasture over the summer. The pasture is heavily deer infested, so my thought is possibly meningeal worms. The vet also thinks possibly thiamin deficiency. That wouldn’t account for the patches of missing fur though. I suppose it could be mites plus thiamin deficiency? The rest of my herd seems fine, with no symptoms whatsoever. I’m currently treating with fenbendazole and banamine. My husband is out picking up thiamin right now. any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Fenbendazole should be 10x the normal dosage for m worm. Since she was wobbly in hind quarters it is a good idea.

Needs thiamine every 6 hours round the clock.
Would also treat for listeriosis to be safe, penicillin every 6 hours round the clock.

In the missing patch of hair was there a cut, does she have any wounds anywhere? I want to be sure there's nothing we are missing!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fenbendazole should be 10x the normal dosage for m worm. Since she was wobbly in hind quarters it is a good idea.

Needs thiamine every 6 hours round the clock.
Would also treat for listeriosis to be safe, penicillin every 6 hours round the clock.

In the missing patch of hair was there a cut, does she have any wounds anywhere? I want to be sure there's nothing we are missing!
Thanks for your response! Yes, I'm doing 10x the dosage of fenbendazole. My husband is on the way home with the thiamin so I'll start giving that every 6 hours. Is it OK to add the antibiotic on top of the other treatments?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Thanks for your response! Yes, I'm doing 10x the dosage of fenbendazole. My husband is on the way home with the thiamin so I'll start giving that every 6 hours. Is it OK to add the antibiotic on top of the other treatments?
Should be fine, yes! It is important to cover all your bases.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
You can start with every 4 hours for the first 2 doses of thiamine to increase strength.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
She needs Dexamethsone as well...or banamine in the least especially if she maybe pregnant

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
You know I read through twice and still missed that lol

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Great job! Make sure you keep up the thiamine and other treatments for at least 24-36 hours after the last display of symptoms so you don’t have a relapse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great job! Make sure you keep up the thiamine and other treatments for at least 24-36 hours after the last display of symptoms so you don't have a relapse.
Thank you! Her vision seems better but the weakness in her hind quarters is about the same. Is it possible there's permanent damage, and if so, how do I know how long to keep treating her?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
I would keep up treatment for at least 24 hours after all symptoms are gone..then ween her off the meads over a weeks time to help prevent a relapse. With polio..normally they fully recover, listeriosis can leave nerve damage or its possible she was struggling with menegeal worm and Polio..and MW can leave permanent damage as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts