The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe kidded in mid-march and had a difficult delivery. It took her some time to recover, but for several weeks she was eating and milking well. suddenly last week, she cut her appetite to nothing and started terrible diarrhea
within a few hours time. She was severely dehydrated and got 3L of fluids as we tried everything to get it under control. This has been almost a week of hardly eating. She drinks better now, gets lots of probiotics, was on an
antibiotic, and gets pepto, but she still not eating and has firmed up her stool a little although not as much as Id like...I think shes just working on what little oak leaves shes been eating. Shes also been getting b complex. Any suggestions on how to kickstart her appetite? We cant keep going this way. Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

We cut her off the antibiotics yesterday.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'd be giving her at least fortified vitamin b complex. I might give some plain thick yogurt...I don't always trust the shelf life of probios. Did you worm / check for cocci? I might consider giving C/D antitoxin too IF the yogurt and vitamin B don't get her going again fast.

·
Super Moderator
14,565 Posts
I was thinking about the worming as well. I can not afford the fecals with the prices the vet charges around here so I do go with after kidding they for sure get wormed since at any time of stress those little suckers can take over fast. I have had my share of goats that have gotten sick from one thing or another and when they didnt want to eat I could always count on those oak leaves. I also agree with the cd shot. If she is still dehydrated maybe put some electrolites (spch) in her water but if she doesnt like it put 2 things of water out one with just normal water.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Sounds like it could be coccidia to me......I use Corid with good results although it isn't recommended on this forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts