The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my milker, Buttercup, somehow sprained her back right hock I'm guessing a couple days ago. I noticed her Saturday night not really putting pressure on her hind right foot. kept my eye on it. yesterday, I cleaned off her hoof to check for hoof rot (it's been really rainy lately). hoof looks beautiful.

then, checking her joints, I noticed her hock was swollen. :(

today, she's on lock down in her pen. she's a little slow, doesn't want to eat TOO quickly (poor girl's in pain). I didn't think to check her temp this morning, but will check later today. I checked her over, and didn't see anything else amiss.

my question is, I don't want to give too much Aspirin to make all the pain go away and have her injure herself more, but enough to make her slightly more comfortable and decrease swelling. so how much should I give and how often?

what else can I do to help her feel better and heal quickly?

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
one adult aspirin would help "cut" the pain some and inflammation...keeping her the pen to rest is a good idea. You can do cold compresses to reduce swelling...otherwise as long as she is eating, drinking peeing pooping berries, bright eye and alert..she should be fine :D

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Cathy!!! this is my first goat sprain (have dealt with my own), so I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything... she's looking good, just...a little slow. poor girl. :(

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
I always just gave it 2 times a day...Kind of feel it out..see if she needs it sooner..:D

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
me too. she's our only milker, and now she's feeling down, she's not eating as much. she only wants treats. bugger.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
B complex is always great for stress...and helps appitite and energy level...

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you know, I've never found B complex at the store..... they only have vitamins A&D, B12, then Iron.....

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
weird...B 12 will help too : )

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, i'll see what I can get....

yes....the livestock section is really strange here....

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks Pam, but no tractor supply stores here. I would be more than happy to see one here, but they all seem to bring the same things here.

I've been to two of the bigger livestock supply stores, and both only have B12, so I got it, and now i'll have to work up the courage to do my first injection!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok...one more question - I've been looking for dosage, and I see 1cc per 100lbs, and 2cc per 100lbs. how much should I give to jump start appetite?

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
For anemia, it is recommended to give B-12 at the rateof 4 cc per 100# ...remember B's ar safe...what she dont use, she will pee out : )

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so, I tried injecting last night....1cc. i'm not sure I got it all in b/c it was kinda dark, and I was a little scared b/c it was my first time. but she DID wolf down all her food last night and wanted more! I was relieved. I didn't have time to give her a shot this morning, and she only ate half her food, BUT was more alert and wanted to leave the pen. her joint is still a bit swollen, so she'll still be on lock down today, and maybe tomorrow depending on how it looks.

i'll give her more B12 tonight. I have all day to talk myself up for it!

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
I understand..It was super hard for me to give shots...but if we keep in mind how it willhelp them, that helps us : ) here is a few pix of Rosie as my Model..Sub Q at the neck is a good place...I have also done it over the ribs with success

Attachments

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh yes! I searched the forum far and wide b/c I had seen those pictures somewhere, and I found it! looked at it for a while. but....you know first one is always hard!

tonight...I will do it before the sun goes down and give her more! I CAN DO IT! lol

·
Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
511 Posts
I hope she gets better. I am having a doe that I think it doing the same thing. This is the second time the hock had come up swollen and hot. Last summer and now. Wondering if it is stress? She just kidded and then got mastitis(with a bunch of other goats) she is a first timer. I have B complex. might not be a bad idea to use?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts