The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 8 year old San Clemente Island Goat Charlotte in January. She got pregnant right away and had triplets 4 weeks ago. During her pregnancy her belly got really big. A month after the birth, her belly is still really big, is not going down, and she might be getting bigger (not sure). I noticed a few days ago that she is missing all but 2 teeth which appear to be loose. I don't know why she lost her teeth. She is up, active, acting normal, eating a lot, nursing kids well.

While pregnant and now while nursing, I feed her extra grain (whole oats, BOSS - 1 c./day), Dumor goat pellets 1c./day and Calf Manna 1c./day, also free choice alfalfa hay, some timothy hay. (Today I put out a bucket of the small pieces of alfalfa hay from the hay barn for her, which she is devouring).

I wonder if she has some bloat and if I should treat her for that? Is there something wrong?

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
I got 8 year old San Clemente Island Goat Charlotte in January. She got pregnant right away and had triplets 4 weeks ago. During her pregnancy her belly got really big. A month after the birth, her belly is still really big, is not going down, and she might be getting bigger (not sure). I noticed a few days ago that she is missing all but 2 teeth which appear to be loose. I don't know why she lost her teeth. She is up, active, acting normal, eating a lot, nursing kids well.

While pregnant and now while nursing, I feed her extra grain (whole oats, BOSS - 1 c./day), Dumor goat pellets 1c./day and Calf Manna 1c./day, also free choice alfalfa hay, some timothy hay. (Today I put out a bucket of the small pieces of alfalfa hay from the hay barn for her, which she is devouring).

I wonder if she has some bloat and if I should treat her for that? Is there something wrong?
Calf manna is used mostly for puttin weight on them. If she is a heavy milker yes she might need extra grain. But with her bein overweight and still growin wider it may be that she does not need as much as you are givin her.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. However, I don't think I would call her overweight, although I could be wrong on this. But she came to me in January very thin. I worked to get her in condition the last 6 months. She still has her hip bones sticking out, but she is in much better condition than she was 6 months ago.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
20181231_101901.jpg
I am running the buck with the does. But I haven't seen him mount her, or seen him particularly interested in her since the kids' birth June 9th. This picture is her in January when I got her, very thin, licey. Second picture is her 3 weeks before triplets born. Third picture is her yesterday with 4 week old kids.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Bloat is an acute condition that can occur and kill in mere hours and the goat is in extreme discomfort. Just to clarify , there isn't "some" bloat so no worries there!

It's too bad about her teeth , that is likely a genetic trait for tooth loss at younger ages unfortunately.

She looks loads better than when you purchased her. It may take longer for her muscles to retract or she may keep her pregnancy shape. Like humans, the body shape is different after birth. I would be concerned about her being bred back to back though as that would really drag her down. Keep up the good work. She is certainly not overweight and kudos for recognizing they can have a huge abdomen and rumen while still being underweight along the spine and hips!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you on Bloat. I've treated it before - always the goat was down, but I was worrying about it all night!

You're right, she is way better than when I got her, and thank you for recognizing that, and a lot happier too I think. Okay, and thanks for your encouragement too. Feeling relieved. And I'll get that fecal done.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Minerals. You aren't mentioning ANY loose minerals...

Reactions: Sfgwife

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I'm not saying you aren't giving them. But losing teeth and no muscle tone after birth is classic mineral loss, and you are saying nothing about giving them...

Reactions: Sfgwife

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I agree, she really looks much better on the later photos! That fur on the first picture ... Brrrr! You have really done a great job! (clap)

But do make sure that she does not get pregnant again too soon! An apron on each fertile buck (Junipurr here at TGS sells them, or make your own), until at least October-November. They do not always announce their marriages ... (blush)

PS How she can thrive that well with only 2 teeth is beyond me. Well done, Charlotte! (clap)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Minerals. I know. I have a really good mineral out there for them, but I don't think they're eating it. :( I'd better start supplementing another way - but how?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
@ksalvagno has the best solution here. Replamin Gel Plus.

And also investigate why they aren't using their minerals. Are they allowed to be exposed to weather or to become stale? Do you have a separate salt lick? In this case, I can definitely suggest a selenium salt lick, or even Redmond Goat salt mix.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Karen. I got Replamins to help Charlotte get in good condition and I can give that to everyone. I do not have a salt lick. Their minerals are not exposed to weather, but may have become stale because they don't eat them. I refreshed the minerals in 2 protected dishes the other day. Should I have a selenium salt lick? If I have that, then I would not give them BoSe shots 1-2X a year, correct?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Should I have a selenium salt lick? If I have that, then I would not give them BoSe shots 1-2X a year, correct?
Yes, you should have a selenium salt lick, and yes you should supplement Selenium as needed in addition to the salt lick.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts