Doe with very flaky skin

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by PotterWatch, Feb 9, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    My doe who kidded a month ago has super flaky skin. She is black, so it really stands out, all over her back mostly, but that's where she has scratched it up. None of the kids or our other doe seems to be having this issue. She is fed mostly alfalfa hay with some bermuda, and grain twice a day at milking. What can I do about her skin?

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Since none of the other goats seem to be affected, I would assume it could be a zinc deficiency...I know that's something that can make skin flakey and dull. You could try supplementing her with a human zinc vitamin, although I have no idea what the dose would be... :shrug:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like dry skin. for dry skin I give Aloe Vera juice (found at walmart in the suplement isle). 4-6 ccs for a couple days then add it (like a glug for 2 gallons) to their water.

4. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Sounds like a zinc deficiency. Are you feeding free choice minerals? human zinc tablets would work good.

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I to have a whether with dry flaky skin....he is also shedding his winter coat....Stacey on the aloe vera juice....is this something you do all the time or just as long as they have dry skin? On the zinc....what would the dosage be?

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I do it for as long as I see the dry skin, usualy a couple weeks. About a week of the dosing then in the water for a week to two weeks.

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I found an old post concerning a black goat with dry flaky skin.....Potterwatch has a black doe with this same problem and my Elwood is black and suffering from dry flaky skin......I read where this could be zinc or copper def? I have purina free choice minerals out....I do plan on trying the aloe vera juice.....but has anyone tried human zinc pills and if so what is the dose? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

8. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I am giving my doe 1 human zinc tablet per day.... and a friend of mine says she buys straight copper and feeds it free choice.... I have not tried the copper because I can't find any yet. :shrug:

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Jenna....how are you giving it and are you seeing that it is helping?