doe with wonky stomach

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by minibarn, Jul 26, 2010.

1. minibarn

minibarn Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    i got this doe along with her twin kids and her dam about 2 months ago. when i mentioned the wonky stomach the owner said she hadn't noticed it before but it doesn't seem to bother the doe in any way. i think she's been overbred so could her stomach muscles just be very loose because of that? she's not pregnant now.

Attached Files:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How old is she? Going by her horn growth I'm guessing she's 3-5 years, she's a pretty girl too.
    The belly is either from more than 2 pregnancies or it's a hernia, the first would be more likely... carrying multiple kids stretches the belly ligaments, a weak area in the muscle wall (hernia) would cause this too.

I have a 10 year old that has had 6 pregnancies, resulting in 13 kids..she carried triplets twice and after her 3rd freshening she lost her "girlish" figure...not like your girl though.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have seen a few does like that who get that bulgy stomach after they have a lot of kids. Two of the does I had seen had quads nearly every time. So she has probably been bred a lot and produced a lot of kids per litter.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    poor thing lost her stomach ligament so its sagging. It wont go back so she will be that way for life if this is the case.

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Is it like that on both sides... or just that side? I would think hernia if it just one side and the other is smooth... If it is similar on both sides then she has "momma belly" :)

6. minibarn

minibarn Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    she's about 3 yrs old. i think she's been bred quite often. her other side is smooth. only a bump on this side and it's very soft & squishy when i push in on it. if it is a hernia, what caused it and is there anything to do for it? she doesn't seem bothered by it.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If she's only 3 the most times she could have possibly been bred, carried the kids and delivered would have been 4 times..if she was bred at 6 months of age, delivered and bred back within a month...very unhealthy for any animal IMO, once the belly ligaments are stretched, there's no fixing them, in the case of a hernia, surgery is an option but it is risky with anesthesia and possible infection issues.

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    My mom has a PDS ewe (sheep) that was butted by one of her horned Boer goats and got a BAD hernia (looks like the bump on your doe) She had the vet out and they determined that fixing it was too risky and costly (she is a wild ewe so keeping her confined after surgery she had a huge risk of reinjuring herself. It has been 2 years with the hernia and the ewe is fine so far.... she has lambed 2x.. both times with twins and raises them fine. So surgery is an option but it is very expensive and reinjury after the operation is a concern. :)

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I would have a vet look at her. If it is a hernia, it would be dangerous to breed her again.

10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    On the other hand, if it is distended on both sides its not hernia. I have an old Boer doe who always looks like she's carrying octuplets.