Doe Won’t Let Kids Nurse

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Caroline Jackson, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    So my ND first freshener kidded two weeks ago and she’s been a wonderful mother, but for the past few days she won’t stay still for her kids to nurse. They’re constantly trying to nurse, and she runs from them.
    I put her on the stand and checked her out and she has no signs of pain or swelling when I checked over her udder.
    What should I do?
    I’ve been holding her still to let them nurse because they seem hungry but no improvement.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Did you check her for mastitis? Did you check kids teeth to see if they are sharp?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How many does she have on her?

4. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    I did check her for mastitis and she had no pain or swelling. The kids have teeth but when they suck on your fingers, they’re not sharp at all.

5. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    She only has two small kids.

6. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    How are the kids doing? Do they seem to be weak or anything?

7. HungryFox

HungryFox Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2020
    New England
    Weigh them now.
    Weigh them again in a few hours.
    Weigh them in the morning, etc.

If a goat kid nurses every single time it desires to, you'll have a dead kid.
    Mom moves away because her babies do not need to nurse constantly or when they wish to. Good moms properly regulate their kids intake.

On the other hand, I learned the hard way that even my experienced doe was under feeding her biggest kid. If I had been weighing here and there, I could have remedied the problem prior to disaster.

GoofyGoat, Sfgwife and Iluvlilly! like this.
  8. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    They’re doing pretty good, although they’re not growing as much as normal kids would.
    I had a doe that just weaned off her kids so I put her on the stand and let the kids nurse on her for a little bit, just so they’d have something to eat.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  9. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    You'd be better off milking your doe and giving supplemental bottles because some does who smell another goats milk on their kids will reject them. The does smell the kids bums when they nurse and they know if it's their milk smell or not.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If her milk is OK and no mastitis and flowing well. Plus she has plenty of milk.
    I would hold her and allow the kids nurse on her a bit longer on and off throughout the day. Don't have to hold her forever, just a bit longer than she is allowing. You want a full belly but not overly tight.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  11. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I'd be really concerned if they are not growing as well as others. There must be some issue.

It's very normal for does to begin stepping away more often when kids are nursing, usually they'll step away many times then call them for a long nursing session when they are ready. And goat kids always act hungry but these sound desperate. But do they feel boney at all?

I would check your doe FAMACHA to make sure parasites are affecting her milk supply. Also give selenium if she hasn't had it.

Start the kids on grower pelleted feed.

12. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    She’s doing much better with them, as I’m holding her and letting them nurse and she seems to be doing better with them.
    I’ve checked her FAMACHA and I dewormed her around 4 weeks ago, and also gave selenium.

SalteyLove and Iluvlilly! like this.
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California