Doe Won't Let Week Old Babies Eat!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by firelight27, Feb 16, 2010.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    So the twin doelings are doing great. This morning, however, I noticed mom wouldn't let them eat when I went to feed her. As soon as they butt her udder or grab a nipple she sidesteps away or kicks at them. I thought that maybe they had already eaten quite a bit and she was just telling them to back off for a bit. I put them out in an outdoor pen today for the first time and mom still wouldn't let them eat (around 3 o'clock). I felt her udder and it seemed a bit small compared to a few days ago. Mom is getting fed and watered plenty. Is this normal by the time they are a week old? That mom would be refusing to let them eat for even a small amount of time? They are very active and jumping around like crazy, and I just noticed this today. I'll keep an eye on them and see if mom is having problems producing or if she keeps being a pain in the butt with them. Just wondering... I can always bottle feed but would prefer not to.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sometimes kids are very demanding and mom knows they have already eaten. feel the babies bellies -- are they full? you said they are active, thats great.

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    My Hope is a very good mother, so good, that she teaches her babies very early about hay and how yummy it is. She will quite often kick her babies off. I almost never see them nurse anymore, but I'm certain she must be nursing them at night or when I'm not around. Otherwise her udder would explode and they'd be some hungry little kids.

:)

4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    The first kidding I had here one of the kids was biting her. She quit feeding them because she was hurting. A lot. I didn't know what I was doing, but fortunately figured out the kids weren't eating before they starved. They were two weeks old but took to the bottle instantly, that's how hungry they were. My doe was a first timer too, we learned together, it must have been awful for her. The next kids she was great with, and neither of them bit her.

So anyway, make sure she isn't getting chewed.

Jan