Doe won't nurse

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatmama, Apr 26, 2010.

1. goatmama

goatmama New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    My doe keeps walking away from her kids when they try to nurse. I noticed today that one side of her udder seems more full than the other. Could it be the onset of an infection or something. The kids were born April 7th, so I would think it is way too early for her to start weaning them. I felt her udder and the full side was not hard ( I was thinking Mastitis), but warm. I did not feel any abnormalities in the other side, but it just doesn't feel like there is much milk there. I know the kids are getting some milk, they seem healthy enough.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    if she's low on one side then I'd say she is just being stingy, try holding her (she'll hate this btw) long enough for them to drink, then offer her grain for being good, or at least nursing them, I've down this before and it will take 2-3 days to get her to really become attached.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Seems like ...they are only nursing from the one side....she may be sore and will need to be milked out enough ...to make her less painful... after doing this.. teach one of the kids.... to start nursing from that side....she can develop Mastitis... if that side isn't milked at all.....

No.. she isn't trying to wean them...her udder is so full ...that it hurts....tie her up and relieve her some on the full side....this will make her more comfortable....then put 1 kid on the teat.... keep putting the same kid on to it.... It may take a little while... to teach the kid... there is another side ...but they do catch on....

When you do milk her some ... check... to see... if there is any blood ...stringy stuff... clumps or anything not right....if the milk looks normal... then it is just that ...the kids are not nursing from that side....teach 1 kid...keep at it and the 1 kid will start nursing that side....then the other kid ...will nurse from the opposite... :wink: