The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for thoughts as far as treatment with my doe Penny.
She turned 4 years on July 13. Delivered twin doelings her first freshening in 2011 and a set of quads, 3 does and 1 buck her 2nd freshening in 2012.

Both deliveries were as perfect as any goat owner would hope they all could be... no post partum issues at all.

She started out with noticed heats last August and I usually wait to breed for mid to late February kids, she had 2 normal heats and when bred with a proven buck (actually 2 different bucks) she would come into heat every 12-15 days...and this continued until January so I left her open.
Same thing this time around...normal heat, bred then in heat again 21 days later, bred and now in heat once again 13 days later :(

I have Lute but understand that it won't cause ovulation so I'm not sure I should dose her.

I would love to have more kids from Penny...she has that long lean dairy build that I like seeing in Nigerians...that and her udder was wonderful to milk with a brag worthy appearance :)
I'll have my vet out if I need to but would still like input from you :)

·
Super Moderator
58,871 Posts
Don't know if this works in goats but we used Penicillin and Estrumate in alpacas.

What we would do is use long acting Penicillin and do 3 shots. One every other day. Then we would do 2 shots of Estrumate. The Estrumate would be done the day before the last Penicillin shot and on the day of the last shot.

Theory was that they had a mild uterine infection which prevented them from taking. If it didn't work, there was always a much bigger problem going on with the female.

You would probably want to do daily shots for 5 days with the Pen for goats and then do the Lute the last 2 days.

·
2,203 Posts
You could do an ov-sync with lutalyse and cystorelin paired, or go ahead with a CIDR.

·
2,203 Posts
CIDR...Heard of it before, I'll try the Antibiotic/Lute route first and if that doesn't work I'll try the CIDR...

Thank you :hug:
More I've been thinkin about it...one of my friend's parents only ever conceived (4x) while momma was on Tussin. Constant hormone therapy as they were trying to conceive, but nothing ever worked for her at all up until she took Tussin. This happened 4 times.

I suppose probably why Doc tells ya don't have intercourse while taking antibiotic while you're on the pill.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Megan... I have heard of the Tussin with women :) As well as the antibiotics being a no-no if on the pill, more so with the oxytetracyclines :)

Just got weights on all my breeding does, Penny is the heaviest at 74lbs as well as the tallest at 20 and 3/4 ".... if LA200 is dosed at 1cc per 20lbs, I'm sticking her in 2 different sites with 2cc and 1 & 3/4cc every other day for 3 doses or 2cc every day for 3 days ?
She's in noisy aggressive heat at this moment... growling and mounting the other girls :( If she's showing these signs, do I do the treatment now or wait til she's back to herself? Mind you that this is the first 13 day heat since the normal one, so since she's started into the every 2 week heats like last year, can I just treat her whenever because of the abnormal heats?

·
Registered
979 Posts
It is my understanding that short cycling is most often caused by cysts on the ovaries. Cystorellin or another drug that knocks those cysts off might be necessary as Lute alone won't do that and neither will an antibiotic.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She was bolused in January, her coat is actually a very nice shiney black but I have noticed a bit of fishtail coming through.... I was thinking of bolusing in the next few weeks for everyone, it seems as though they're all going through minerals like crazy now too.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
This is all very interesting.. I have a doe that sounds just like yours! She was bred 2011 and 2012 gave me triplets and twins then wouldn't settle this past year...

I don't have any lute... And she is fine on Copper... I'm hoping she settles this year.. We bred her once already so we'll see...

I'm gonna keep an eye here :)

·
Super Moderator
58,871 Posts
You actually need to use Penicillin if you go the antibiotic route. I would do it now and then breed her on the next cycle.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I did call my vets office, he recommended using 3 doses of LA200 and I'm leaving here soon to pick up a dose of Cystorelin.
I'm to dose her with the antibiotic and if she is still in standing heat when I get back, dose her with the GnRH as it will either induce ovulation in 12 hours or actually rupture the follicles and clear her ovaries for the next cycle. IF this doesn't work then blood tests and ultra sound are recommended.

Also, lute does nothing for a cystic doe, the "normal" cycles Penny has had the last 2 cycles and now the short cycles pretty much told him she's cystic all Lute would do is induce heats because of the different hormone in it.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Is the Cystorelin real pricey?
I don't want a whole bottle... But don't know if the dose your getting is up there in price... I may just call the vet and see what he says..

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
That's not bad :) Too bad Ver serve doesn't have it.. :(

If she doesn't settle in a few try's I will talk to my vet and see what he thinks..

Thanks Liz :)

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Any luck with your doe so far Liz?

Mine came back into heat.. :( hoping she settles this go 'round..

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No luck :( After the dosing with the Cystorelin, when she was in heat on the 2nd and 3rd she was back in heat on the 8th and now again yesterday and today :(
I hope to be able to fix her problem, she is a doe that I would like to have more kids from....and she has a very capacious udder.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts