Doe wouldn't eat hay...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Darby77, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Hello Group,

This morning one of my does gave me a bit of a scare. She ate breakfast, but then didn't seem to want to come outside. She stood in her stall chewing her cud. She did end up coming out but wouldn't eat hay with the others. She would eat alfalfa cubes though. I gave her a dose of probiotic paste and a shot of B complex. Her berries were normal, she drank water and urinated. I temped her and it was 101.5. Someone told me that is too low. I could hear distinct rumen sounds and after a bit she did start eating hay. Could it just have been a fluke? Her color is good, she is in good weight, if not a little chubby. She is a 2.5yr old Saanen doe. She seems normal now, though all my goats were fluffed and miserable looking today because of the crappy wet weather we have been having in Massachusetts. Should I worry about that temp? I was thinking I should do a fecal on her? Everytime I do a fecal or send one out, everyone is good. I only have 6 goats and they are my little family, so I worry so much about them. Should I do anything else? Or stop being a neurotic worrier?
    Thanks all!!!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

They can have an off day just like us. I'd do probiotics for a couple days. 101.5 is normal.

toth boer goats likes this.

3. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Ok, thank you so much. I was sick with worry about my Dahlia all day. I'm a little obsessed with my herd.

4. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    I hear ya I can be the same way. Sounds like she just had an off day. And it sounds like you are doing the right thing and know what to do. Hope she continues to feel good:)

Darby77 likes this.