The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the other day I notice my angora doeling Crybaby (all white except for a black tear below her eye) is acting a little off when I leave the house. I come back a few hours later and she is just standing with her head in a corner, front feet up on a log, crying absolutely non stop. I go up to check her out and she lets me catch her and normally she is very flighty. She is 3 months old, has been nursing on her mom and I see she is skinny. There was nothing obviously wrong with her, her gums were cold and pale and she would just go limp in my arms. Since I can't figure out what on earth it could be I take her to the vet.

Vet can't figure it out. Says it wouldn't be worth running any tests because everything else is coming back fine. Her vitals are all good. She eats, she drinks, but she NEVER sits. She spends a lot of time just spacing at walls. Whole herd was last wormed at the beginning of May. No lice which was my first thought because she was thin and lethargic. She has been on pasture and nursing so I have no idea how she even got that thin but now I've got her supplemented with some equine senior as well to help fatten her up.

Tonight I saw her get bullied by my nigerian doe, ie flipped over her head in her horns and landing hard on her side, her face down underneath her body. She wouldn't get up on her own so I run over and get her up and then she is okay. I remember seeing this happen once before and now I'm wondering, could she have maybe gotten some sort of brain damage from being headbutted? Maybe it happened one time when I didn't see it and she just landed wrong?

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? The not ever sitting thing is SO STRANGE. If I lay her down on her side she can't get up. If I help her up she will stand up and be fine. She isn't super active but she walks around just fine and does her thing. I'm treating her with fortified B every day to give her energy. I gave her a&d and bose as well. I have her separated with my other two doelings so she is no longer at Mama Goat's mercy. I am absolutely mystified! Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
What about a fecal test? Was she checked for coccidia? Have you sent a fecal sample in to some place like a college or state lab that does more than just a quick fecal float?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He didn't recommend getting a fecal because everyone else in the herd is in good health. Her body temp, lungs, rumen, and heart rate were all good.

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
I would have the fecal test done. Everyone else in good health truly means nothing. No guarantees when it comes to livestock. Definitely have a fecal test done to include coccidia. 3 months old is perfect timing for coccidia.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would she have any symptoms in her pellets? Her pellets are normal and she is eating fine. The symptoms that I see online don't seem to match up but I will send a fecal off.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
He didn't recommend getting a fecal because everyone else in the herd is in good health. Her body temp, lungs, rumen, and heart rate were all good.
Then I would start treatment for cocci and also Fortified B complex for Polio and stress. Head pressing is usually a sign of pain. I would also separate the bully out from her and her mom.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is separated out from the bully, I actually have her inside for tonight in my laundry room to keep an eye on her, then during the day she will be with two 4 month old doelings. I'm giving her 1cc of fortified b every day. She doesn't press her head on anything, she just faces a wall, that is what is so odd about it. I do have banamine I will try giving her some in case she is in pain.

·
Registered
30,671 Posts
Polio comes to mind..Thiamine is the only effective treatment..Fortified B complex in a pinch..every 6 hours and because Listeriosis present many of the same symptoms I would treat for that too...large doses of Penicillan for that..here is a link to show a chart of how much http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html
I would also treat for cocci and worms as well...

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Your goat, but she does not sound well at all. I have to agree with goathiker and happybleats. I sure hope the little girl makes it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The good news is she is still alive, no worse no better. I started her on the high dose penicillin tonight, coccidia treatment, and upped how often she is getting B. I am very worried about her but I'm glad that she is still eating and drinking. Today I saw her get up on her own from sitting but I also found her laying on her side in the blazing sun not moving and she was incredibly warm so I dipped her feet in some cold water and it cooled her down. I'm keeping a close watch on her checking her every hour. When I do find her zoned out collapsed when I pick her up she goes right on standing and eating. She is wagging her tail a little but won't raise it up and today she turned her head and looked at me when I said her name, which she hadn't been doing. Fingers crossed that throwing the kitchen sink at her will work.

·
Registered
30,671 Posts
Keep up the great work...If she has listeriosis it is along road to recovery...pen and Thiamine is needed for at least 24 hours after all symptoms are gone..I always treat a few days after in fear of relaps..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How long does it take to see results from treatment if it is listeriosis? She is starting to show signs of being in pain so she is getting banamine every 6 hours with her other meds as well.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Just throwing it out there.....is she still pooping ok??? And no blood in her poop. Im asking to make sure she didnt eat like a hay string and is blocked, or a wire or something. I have no idea to your question though :(

·
Registered
230 Posts
Vet can't figure it out. Says it wouldn't be worth running any tests because everything else is coming back fine. .
I would get a second opinion, a vet that won't run tests just because vitals a are fine...all I have to say on that.

Get a fecal test could have coccidia (I just experienced it and almost lost my buck because there where no other signs until almost too late), could she be anemic?

She could also be deficient in minerals or vitamins what does she have available?

·
Registered
30,671 Posts
It can take days or weeks, depending on how bad she is...poor thing..Im sorry she is so uncomfortable, what signs of pain is she giving? grindingof teeth< a yawn type thing, moaning??..is she eating and drinking well..dehydration is painful...
are you still giving C D Antitoxin and Thiamine?(or B complex)?

a quote from tennesseemeatgoats

NOTE ON HYDRATION/NUTRITION: Do not fail to keep the sick goat hydrated and fed. With Goat Polio and Listeriosis, a goat is usually totally off feed and water. This means that the producer must stomach tube nutrients (electrolytes, energy, protein) into the goat. A 100 pound goat needs one gallon of fluids daily. That is 3,840 cc's. No producer can syringe 3,840 cc's of fluids daily into a goat without stressing both the goat and the caregiver. All of the proper medications won't save a goat if that animal dies of dehydration/starvation. Entrolyte (oral calf nutrient powder containing electrolytes and 13% protein) or comparable product should always be kept on hand for these situations. Do not offer grain to a sick goat but instead provide easy-to-digest forage plants (weeds & leaves) and grass hay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She is still eating and drinking like a champ. Since she is kind of spaced out I make sure to put the water up to her every time I check on her so she can drink while I'm watching. I haven't been giving her C D, should I be? She is getting banamine, fortified b and penicillin every 6 hours and Di-Methox for coccidia daily.

Before she would just stare at a corner but I have caught her twice today actually pushing her head against something, she isn't doing it constantly. The very first day I noticed she was sick I noticed because she was just crying nonstop. Today she has actually been sitting upright sometimes when she is down, which is really nice to see because she hadn't been able to do that before. I am checking her about every 1-2 hours, except at night when she sleeps in our laundry room and I check on her every time my bladder fails me. I imagine she is using a lot of energy staying upright because she hardly ever sits, at night she just stands all night, so it was really nice to see her sitting with her head up like a normal goat.

I feel like since she is still holding on she might make it through, as bad off as she is I would expect if it was truly dire she'd already be gone by this point. I will just keep throwing the kitchen sink at her and hopefully something will stick.

Also thank you to everyone for helping me with her, this forum has been a godsend during all of this!

·
Registered
30,671 Posts
if you seen her eating well and chewing a cud then C D Antitoxin is not necessary....

Her standing alot concerns me..usually a goat that wont lay down has fluid around the lungs making it uncomfortable to breath while down..as in Interstitial Pneumonia...of course she would not be as well today if this is what she had..but its just got me thinking,,,But, just in case....Hows her breathing?
also here is an article on Meningeal worms...see if she fits in this catagory...just to be sure we are covering everything...something isnt sitting right with me..Imight just be over thinking it lol..but lets just make sure ;)
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/meningealworm.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Her breathing is good, vet said her lungs checked out fine. I talked with another vet tonight as we had to go in to put down our senior kitty who had kidney failure, and she also does goats and thought it could be possible she had brain swelling from getting thrown by the nigerian doe or maybe she ate a toxic plant. She doesn't think it sounds like coccidia, and she'd be surprised if it was listeriosis because she is still eating and drinking, but that or polio could be possible too. She's been hanging on since Saturday which is hopeful. She said to just keep treating her as is for now and hope for improvement and agreed its good she is still eating and drinking. Poor Crybaby and her neverending saga. I'm glad it wasn't just one vet that was perplexed!

·
Registered
30,671 Posts
Goats keep us all on our toes...If it were polio, you would have seen recovery by now...the brain swelling from injury could be an issue but with her being on the anti-inflamitory I would think that would have found relief as well..but the effects could linger..If its toxicity from plant then C D Antitoxin would have taken care of that..But since you are treating for a multitude of possibilities and she is eating and drinking well...its encouraging..If improvement doesn't continue might go to the next step and treat for meningeal worms??? She is very lucky to have such a dedicated care taker : )

1 - 20 of 27 Posts