The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went out to feed and milk and noticed my three month old doeling acting a little off. She wouldn't eat her dinner and is standing off by herself. She walked around and drank some water, but is not her perky self. I'm worried sick, especially since I lost her sister to what I think was listeriosis six weeks ago or so. None of the same symptoms so far, maybe I'm just being paranoid. Should I intervene now or just wait and see how she does?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,547 Posts
First thing is you need to get a temp on her. Give her some probiotics
Let me know what her temp is. How is her poops?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,547 Posts
With a temp that high i would guess she is getting Pnemonia. She needs antibiotics started.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! She does have a slightly crusty nose, and weather has been crazy (temp swings from the 20s to the 60s within a week). I have penicillin (combipen) on hand, I'll dose her with that.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,305 Posts
be sure to follow through 5-7 days of the Pen...

best wishes
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,305 Posts
be sure to follow through 5-7 days of the Pen...

best wishes
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,939 Posts
Thanks! She does have a slightly crusty nose, and weather has been crazy (temp swings from the 20s to the 60s within a week).
That would definitely be enough to cause pneumonia! Please be sure to treat her the full 5 days. If she still isn't acting 'right' or goes off feed again a stronger antibiotic is needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I just went to check on her and she trotted up to me, bleating like nothing was wrong. Temp is 104.9 (I almost wonder if my thermometer works because she looks fine now!) I haven't taken grain out, but did see her vigorously nursing Mama (I'm letting them wean her themselves) so I'm hopeful! I'll keep up the pcn for at least 5 days. Would you do twice daily?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! I was debating whether to treat her or wait it out last night, so your advice may have saved her! If nothing else, maybe catching it quickly will make the disease course not so bad. Thank you, everyone!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top