doeling down - she passed away. :-(

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Apr 25, 2010.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok, so the little doeling that was born on Friday along with her hefty brothers, isn't doing so well.

I noticed that her brothers were out running with the others and playing, and she was always sleeping. I had seen her nurse momma once or twice, but she just seemed real lathargic and the boys have gotten over that scrunched up stage right after birth, where she still is.

Then this morning, I noticed that her eye was a little swollen and about half shut, along with dried green discharge around it. I brought her in, applied a warm compress then cleaned it and put a drop of pen in it. This worked great and within an hour swelling was gone and her eye was completely open.

When I took her back out - she would walk to mom and just stand, all hunched, beside her. i put her under momma and she would take a couple sucks, then stop - seemed weak.

So I watched her for a bit, and she just went and curled up and went to sleep. I let her be for about an hour, came back out and she hadn't moved. So I brought her inside.

Temp - Therm is broke - so not sure
    Gums are a little pale
    wont take bottle at all - did give 6cc by syringe
    gave 0.25 Vit B complex SQ
    is now on a heating pad with a blanket wrapped around her
    No wheezing or coughing
    lungs sound clear
    does seem like her respirations are high
    will stand up and walk around a little.

Any ideas???

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: doeling down

MAy need Bo-se and vitE...

Is her mouth cold....if she has hypothermia.. then it can cause pale gums....

Was mom wormed prior to kidding?
    Also you need to get a temp....as the kid may have pneumonia.... :hug:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Sounds like you have her warmed up. How is her sucking reflex? She has had to have nursed some to still be alive, I would syringe her more if she won't take the bottle. She doesn't sound to have the symptoms of the common newborn ailments like WMD or FKS. I hope she picks up for you.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

can't get a temp on her tonight - I am 40 minutes each way from town....

Her mouth does seem a little cold. She just got up and walked around - walked over to my leg and was slowly looking for a nipple. heated her bottle - won't take it at all. Have not seen her urinate.

Yes, momma was wormed, she had bose at birth.

She really has no sucking reflex at all -

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I think one of the symptoms of WMD is a non sucking reflex....do you have a bit of Selenium/E gel or even a small dose of the BoSe to give her?

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

oh yah - i have a whole bottle. should give her another dose and vit e cap?

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

do you think i should take her out and see if she will nurse?

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I thot you meant mom had the BoSe at the birth....she's just 2 days old, what she got then should have corrected any deficiency, I know selenium can be toxic if OD so I don't think another dose at this point would be good. I know you've bottled kids before and all the tricks you need to do to get them to take a bottle so I'm sure you've done them all, the fact that she was searching for it tells me she knows what she wants, just not sure what to do with it when she gets it.

You can try and see if she'll nurse from mom....even a little bit is good.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

To bad you can't get the temp but yes 40 minutes each way is quite far.... :(

Don't know if it is under 100 degrees so you can feed her....

When you give her the syringe of milk....put your index finger in the mouth...pretending it is a nipple.... and slowly plunge a little in her ...at the back corner of her mouth.. as you do... move your finger in and out slightly .... repeat with giving milk... try to get the suck reflux to respond..... this method works for me....and then I put them om the teat after the sucking begins and the syringe is empty....if you have to give a couple of syringes to try to get the reflux going do so..... good luck...

If she has no reflux she won't take the bottle

Poor baby ...she must not be getting enough milk to urinate....

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

i just gave her about 7 cc of milk and i can hear her tummy making loud noises and she is passed out asleep again - never urinated or defecated when she was walking around.

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

If she doesn't piddle or try to poo when you wake her in an hour I would be inclined to think there may be something going on with her that you can't see. I hope she makes a wet spot on your floor soon!

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Yeah.. she isn't getting enough food ..for energy or even urination or maybe to poo....but... if you want to give her an enema.....to see if ..she is just bound up in the rear...it might not be a bad idea.... How much milk.. has she had since she was born.?

Also try ..the coffee karo ect concoction My brain isn't working can't think of the all the ingredients. :doh: ..it may help give her energy.... give nutra drench it may help her appetite....as well.... :hug:

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

just took her out to mom - mom didnt care about her and she just stood there. she did urinate a couple drops. when i put her under momma - she turned her head up but that was it

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

one thing that I am noticing is that she is keeping her back legs real close together....

gave her a 2cc enima - within 3 minutes pooped aLOT of yellow normal stool. Real "seedy" looking instead of runny - probably is a bit dry

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

the feces are REALLY dry and hard..... she just defecated again - this has been enough for 3 or 4 regular poos - OHH and now more --- enough for 5 or 7

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

maybe some pepto would help her tummy feel better.

17. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT

Maybe she was just constipated... have you tried taking her back out?

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I would tube her a couple ounces of mom's milk and watch her over night with mom -- I had this happen with the little runt of Lola's

she just got ot weak to suck but after being tubed she started to suck again and hold her own. I did eventually supplment her with a bottle which she wouldnt take previously.

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I would put a bit of MOM in her milk or some oil to keep things moving along. It sounds like she was constipated and therefore there was no room for her to put food, so she wasn't hungry and wouldn't suck.

20. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

I lost my little girl about 6 am this morning. She was trying to fight and I was doing everything anyone could possibly think of to save her..... RIP little girl.