Doeling Found Nearly Froze

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Native87, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Native87

Native87 New Member

I have a young doe that just got way too cold last night. I have her in my lap right now next to the stove. When she was first brought in she drank a lot of water before I could get her in the heat. Any thing anyone can recommend I do??

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    How old is she?

Give a mix of Molasses, Black coffee, and Whiskey(or any hard liquor). Give her a couple CC's of it every half hour until her temp comes up to normal.

If she is young enough she is still on milk NO milk until her temp is above 100.

3. Native87

Native87 New Member

I have the coffee but no molasses or liquor. I do have nutri drench. Can I mix the coffee with that maybe

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I mix the coffee with karo syrup and nix the liquor since we dont have any in the house.

- basically anything with a sugar boost will be good. And the coffee gets the blood going I guess.

how is he little girl now?

5. Native87

Native87 New Member

She is still shivering some. Part of that could be also where she drank chilled water right before I got all my outside clothes off before I started warming her. Should I just let her rest covered up. She is VERY lethargic but will stand and walk around a bit and holding her head up. I feel awful about this.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    have you checked her temp recently?

I would let her rest to warm up -- give her probios and the nutri drench (love that stuff)

7. Native87

Native87 New Member

She is at 96.3 now. She felt like ice when I first got her and she had been sleeping between her mom and a couple others. I mixed some warm coffee and a couple of pumps of nutri drench and she really acted like she liked that. I have her next to the stove and covered up really well. SHe is 4 months old about how much probios do you think.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    give her 3-5 ccs of the probios

and in a bit give her more of the mixture you gave her before.

does she seem interested in anything to drink? if so give it to her warm

9. Native87

Native87 New Member

Yes she is drinking. It was by accident she drank the cold water when I got her inside this morning. SHe really went after it and of course that didnt help her core temp at all. The mixture I gave her was mixed in a bowl and she drank it readily. At this time she has perked up a little more and she can hear her mom hollering for her and that perked her up. Probios is up next. Thank you for your time with this.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad ....the baby is doing better....great job..... :hug: :pray:

11. Native87

Native87 New Member

Yes please keep her in your prayers. [​IMG]

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    glad to see it going up :)

keep up the good work.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Aww...she is adorable and in my prayers... :hug: :pray:

14. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Aww poor little girl...thank goodness you found her when you did! I'm glad to hear her temp is coming up...when she gets back up to 100 I'd give her some alfalfa... it well help her to maintain the warmth. Sounds like you are doing everything you can at this point though. Hoping she continues to pull through for you! :thumb:

15. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Poor baby girl..... :pray:

16. Native87

Native87 New Member

Her temp is now 102.2. SHe of course is wore out. SHe is alert when she wakes and has nibbled on some hay. She WONT be going back in this weather. Its real bad here in Virginia. Thank You Everyone. I hope we are on our way.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  18. chad3006

chad3006 New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    TX
    My wife uses a kind of deep tissue massage and vigorous rubbing for newborns that are nearly frozen and it has worked on several occasions, along with a hair dryer; once the kid starts to regain consciousness, she gets some warm liquids down ‘em.

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Thank goodness you found her when you did. Just one thing you need to remember. Do not let them have anything to eat or drink until there body temp is 100. They can not digest it correct and that alone will kill them.

Something else is I take towels throw them int he dryer and heat them good and hot and keep her wrapped int hem and rotate them. I also have a sock that is filled with rice. It makes the best heating pad. Pop it in the Microwave and you have a very warm cheap heating pad.