The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, some of you might be aware that I had two kids with scours this weekend. The scours are gone but my week and a half old doeling is acting off. She was born with a selenium deficiency but pulled out of it was ease after treatment. This morning before I left work, I noticed she seemed weak on the front end. Her front legs are bent back, she can stand and walk on them. She seemed to have problems seeing. She would try to latch onto a teat but would over shoot her aim and hit the wall of her stall. But I'm not sure if that's her eyesight or if she was just really hungry. I gave her some electrolytes before I left. I think she was so hungry from not eating while her tummy was upset that she gorged herself. I'm very worried and I'm stuck at work but my parents are home. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Get her temperature asap and give a shot of B complex. Is her tummy poochy and firm?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
She may be a bit bloated... firmly Rub her belly and if she starts burping or farting, or both, she needs gas relieved. Some baking soda would be good to also help relieve gas. She should just eat the baking soda out of your hand. Just a pinch should be good for a kid.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
also do what happy bleats said, that is important to always get a rectal temp. just like when you are not feeling well, the first thing you do is take your temp. When you suspect a goat isn't feeling well, the first thing you do is take her temp :) (thumbup)

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Hey Y'all,
OP also had additional symptoms on different thread....
Didn't dip cord at birth and limping... Also sounded like joint ill as well.

"Alright y'all, got another situation I could use second opinions on. My little doeling started walking funny yesterday. Funny as in; she bends over and almost rests her chest on her front legs which are bent back at the knees. Her back legs are strong. Still has a suck/swallow reflex. What has me worried is she was acting as if she was having eyesight issues. This is the doeling who I treated for a selenium deficiency at birth. What do you think I'm looking at? Selenium deficiency or something worse?.....I'm at work and I'm a hot mess worried about her. My parents are at home so I can have them treat her....just worried "
From other post to consolidate them....

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Hey Y'all,
OP also had additional symptoms on different thread....
Didn't dip cord at birth and limping... Also sounded like joint ill as well.
Thanks for the heads up. ..should these two threads be combined?

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got home. Brought her inside. Temp is 101.2. This is how she is holding her body. I can't tell if her knees look swollen or not so I'll attach some pictures. Stomach is super soft and empty. No scours. Very vocal
IMG_9416.jpg
IMG_9417.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Few more points to add:
Naval is looking good. No signs of infection. Joints are not hot. I have her some baking soda dissolved in water. I also gave her vitamin b complex.

·
8,197 Posts
Give Vitamin AD+E injectable (Tractor supply or other farm stores might have it) and Vitamin B complex inj. Did you give Bo-SE with a vitamin E gel cap?

Give Electralytes one feeding then the next, her bottle of warm milk.

I would get to a vet if you can.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
You said tummy feel empty..Temp is good..I would feed her. Milk mom if you can or whole cows milk , add a pinch of baking soda and feed her. I would also give a good pinch of cayenne pepper in honey will give her much needed pick me up..

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't have more advice. I think a vet is best as well. This is unusual and difficult to diagnose here.

Since her temp is good and she appears hungry from vocalizing and empty stomach, can you halter tie the dam and help the kid maneuver into nursing position? Steady her to latch on

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the doeling started to have really bad seizures about two hours ago. I don't have injectable thiamine but I have an oral vitamin b complex that I gave her an hour before the seizures. I loaded her up in my truck and called every vet in the area. Because of the holiday, everyone had closed early. I brought her back home. Her seizures have stopped and she's standing but she's still having some convulsions. I don't know what to do. I feel like she's suffering and I feel hopeless.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
So the doeling started to have really bad seizures about two hours ago. I don't have injectable thiamine but I have an oral vitamin b complex that I gave her an hour before the seizures. I loaded her up in my truck and called every vet in the area. Because of the holiday, everyone had closed early. I brought her back home. Her seizures have stopped and she's standing but she's still having some convulsions. I don't know what to do. I feel like she's suffering and I feel hopeless.
Do you have a tractor supply or feed store nearby? Vitamin b complex will work if it has 100mg of B-1
It must be given as an injectable, vitamin b paste doesn't work once a kid is ruminating.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
poor little thing. I agree injectable B is better but keep giving the oral until you can get injectable. Cayenne pepper is full of B's ..give her a pinch in honey every 15 minutes for an hour then go every 30 minutes. As long as her temp remains good..feed her. She needs food.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We found some injectable B. She's still having convulsions but she can stand. I'm scared to give her any liquid for fear she'll aspirate, but I managed to get some electrolytes in her with an eye dropper, very slowly to make sure she swallowed. My mom is taking over for me. I haven't slept at all this last week. My mom is not a goat person at all, but she really loves these kids. She found the b injectable and she's walking around the house holding baby girl...like a baby. I'm hoping that we can get on top of this. I will update tomorrow. Thank you everyone, once again.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
It's Great that you found some! I'd give her 1cc injected sub q every 6 hours for 24 hours, Then see how she's doing and then decide wether to keep it up.
Did you give her a cod liver oil caplet squirted into her mouth yet?
She needs nourishment, can you tube her?
Do you have a stomach tube?
You've had a rough week, hang in there!

Can you get her to the vet today? That would be best.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts