Doeling horn partially ripped off

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Jordan Hollingshead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. IMG_2032.jpg IMG_2025.jpg

Any advise ASAP would be greatly appreciated

2. Lindan

Lindan Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Get a vet out ASAP... She can lose a dangerous amount of blood in a hurry

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It will have to be removed and can bleed. She can't have it that way.
    I agree to have a vet look at her.

Poor girl. :(

4. Vet wouldnt even be able to come out until next week. I was told by another goat owner to leave it be and let it come off on its own? Is there a possibility for it to still grow if a small part is still attached?

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If it is just a small part attached, I'd nip it off myself. You can saw it off.

6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    If its just hanging on by a small part..then yes removing it is best. Give banamine and tetanus antitoxin if shes not UTD on cd&t. If it is pretty attached still..I would clean it up well and secure it with vet wrap to prevent it from being ripped off until the vet can see her. Horns bleed alot and if ripped off can expose the sinuses. Keep her penned with a gentle buddy if you can.

GoofyGoat and goatblessings like this.
  7. I was told by the vet to rip it off....since she wouldn’t be able to come pick right away, I appreciate all the advice she is up to date on cd&t. This is her second time with the same horn the first time when she was still nursing and it completely got ripped off.

8. I will try and figure out how attached it is

happybleats likes this.
  9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    OH OUCH! he said just rip it off!! UGH. If its just a little snagged still, nipping it would be ok..but rip! Eek.

The base maybe weak after the first time she broke it. good luck with her. Keep us posted

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I do agree with the others, if a vet cannot come out right away.

Rip it off, I do not agree with that either.

Be prepared for bleeding.

11. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

If they had a disbudding iron could they use it to calterized the bleeders? Or is it like a cow and no matter what you do it shoots blood all over.

12. Yes, In those exact words which I am not okay doing.

13. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Omg poor thing! It may not be a bad idea to get some Alushield Aerosol Bandage for either right now, or after you finish clipping it off. Good luck!

toth boer goats likes this.
  14. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Well, something needs to be done, because just as it is, it is causing her pain. Either get it off somehow or stabilize it until the vet can get there. Vet wrap, duct tape and gauze bandaging or ripped sheets, something to get it back into position and then keep it in place. That way the pain will not be so severe. With is flopping around, the pain will be bad and it will take a long time to heal, lending itself to infection that could get into her sinuses or worse. And like everyone else mentioned, tetanus booster or anti-toxin if not UTD on tetanus vaccine. My Mancha buck has some huge scurs that have broken off like your girls horn. He was in a lot of pain and the bleeding just wouldn't stop until I got a friend to come over and help me cut the rest of the horn scur off, since it was flopping every time he would move.

15. I had a girl with horns like that. Looks like she was disbudded but not properly - seeing the bend one on the other size of your girl. I had the vet remove them and it was pretty nasty. Left a hole down to the sinus - she was stalled with a couple of young ones so they wouldn't hurt her and bandages changed daily plus shots to keep from infecting. Buttercup's horn removal 10-16.JPG Took weeks for the area to finally heal. She was a good girl during the healing but I did have to really protect her from the other girls. Her head was sore. She was such a good girl with all the bandage changes too. This was a few years ago now - and done right so there is no scurs coming back up. Our vet sawed them off below the hair line - pulled the vein and burned the area. Left me with a spray for the wound and a antib. cream with DMSO in it to be put on daily. She slept thru it all - we are lucky and have a great vet.

Sfgwife likes this.
  16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad she is doing OK.

She is cute. :)