The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday I brought home another young doe and put her with my 7 month old doeling. The next day I noticed my doe trying to mount my new goat and she had a little discharge.

Now, I'm new to goats and breeding but I knew from the research I did that she must be in heat. So, I noted it and figured she would come out of it.. The strange part is she doesn't seem to have. She tried to mount her buddy again today, and locking her up again today I noticed she had some more discharge. And this has been happening for 3 days!

Is this normal? I thought they were only in heat for 24hrs.. But, she's thrown me for a loop on this one.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
yes they are in heat for a couple days usually 3-4 days with a 12-24 hour period (usually in the middle of the heat) when they will actually stand for the buck "standing heat"

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. I guess I understood what I had been reading wrong. I just assumed it was a day so I was all weirded out.. :p

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Heats can last anywhere from 12 hours to 48 but typically they are pretty consistent at 24 hours. Now what is more likely the case is they are still trying to work out who is the dominate or the dominate is just making sure they other one knows it. Does can act pretty bucky when it comes to teaching another doe who the boss is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts