The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave day 3's treatment last night for cocci to the younger goats. Treating with Albon, btw. Last night and this morning, Ruby doesn't seem as interested in eating. She is pooping pellets, wants to do the usual "get in your way while you clean the barn" routine, and seems pretty normal. She nibbled for a minute on her grain, then left it to follow me around.

She is ravenous for the Albon, btw. She goes nuts for it (the only Albon I can get, aside from ordering it online, or driving nearly 2 hours, is the dog strength stuff which has been raised in dosage to get her the correct amount of sulfa, which has banana flavoring). Suckles it out of a baster, and insists on doing her best to get in the way while I give the others theirs.

I read that it can make dogs' appetites decrease. Does this happen with goats too? I didn't get to take her temp, as my thermometer was otherwise employed, taking a temp on the other doeling.

·
Registered
10,026 Posts
The Albon liquid should be the same dose for a dog or a goat by body weight. What dose are you giving for what weight?I have never had it make them loose the appitite. I would give her a shot of Fortified B complex sometimes that can help stimulate appitite.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a 5% solution, whereas the livestock Albon is 12.5% solution. I'm going to go back down and take a temp, and guess I could do a BComplex shot after I come back from the vet with my doe's stool sample (making sure her immune system didn't get knocked down enough by the recent weather to cause her any cocci or worm problems).

·
Registered
10,026 Posts
The livestock one is a injectable form and that is disbersed into the body different. The other is a oral and I have always used it in goats at the exact same dose as suggested for dogs with success. The first day is a double dose then days 2-5 are single doses. I dont think it will harm your goat in any way but do try the regular strength next time it will save you money.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. These directions are what the vet told me to use, btw.

Her temp is 102.3, I think. I got a little liquid in my thermometer earlier when cleaning it, so the display wasn't the easiest to read. I'll retake when I get back.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Her temp is normal, If she will readily take the syringe, and needs to have a boost try sucking up some electrolyte water mixed with nutridrench.
Dose her with probiotic paste too, her tummy is very likely upset with the meds.
A dose of B Complex can't hurt and will boost her appetite :)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll bring her up to the milk stand after a while and give her a shot + some probiotics and nutridrench. I have probios powder, which I'll mix into the nutridrench and drench her with it. I really wish the store closer to us carried power punch though. The goats actually LIKE power punch, so I can top dress it instead of drenching them. So I'll either order it online next month, or I'll get it when I am near a TSC when in colorado later this week.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I gave her a BComplex injection, nutridrench, and about 3/4 to 1 cup of electrolytes via turkey baster (with the first squirt infused with probiotic powder). I took the rest of my quart jar of electrolytes and dumped it into their fresh drinking water, as I figure it would not hurt to give them all some of that. She is out nibbling on tumbleweeds and other stuff, so I'll just keep an eye on her at this point. We only have two more days of meds to give out for the cocci.

When I am down there, all she wants is a head or chin scratching, the little goober.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.