The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 mo LaMancha Nigerian cross doeling who is not going into heat at all. My other doeling, her half sister, has regular obvious heats, so I’m beginning to worry that the doeling not having heats somehow got pregnant. I got her about two months ago, and she was in with wethers and other does where I got her. I have no idea how soon wethers were put in with her after castration. Here she’s in with my wether and the other doeling. My wether was banded before I got him, but I’ve felt around and don’t feel a testicle that somehow didn’t get included. There’s no way she has been exposed to bucks here. Her old place had a buck on the property, but he was housed separately and out of sight. Should I be worried at this point that she isn’t going into heat/ is it irrational to think she may be pregnant? I attached some pics in case they’re helpful in the event that she may be pregnant. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Six months might just be a bit early for her to go into heat being a mini mancha. I would not worry so much just yet. If it is makin you really batty pull blood and have a pregnancy test done. My lil mini nubian doeling is sevenish months old and i have not noticed a heat in her until last week i *think* she may have been cycling.... but the wethers in with her were not doin like they do with our grown does. So i am just not sure if she did or not.... she was flagging a bit and just a little “off” for herself but her lil tail is always gettin it when i go up. So i just dunno.

Also. Some does tend to have silent heats. So she may have cycled and you not know it. Or there are some that won’t cycle very strongly unless there is a buck close by.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Six months might just be a bit early for her to go into heat being a mini mancha. I would not worry so much just yet. If it is makin you really batty pull blood and have a pregnancy test done. My lil mini nubian doeling is sevenish months old and i have not noticed a heat in her until last week i *think* she may have been cycling.... but the wethers in with her were not doin like they do with our grown does. So i am just not sure if she did or not.... she was flagging a bit and just a little "off" for herself but her lil tail is always gettin it when i go up. So i just dunno.

Also. Some does tend to have silent heats. So she may have cycled and you not know it. Or there are some that won't cycle very strongly unless there is a buck close by.
Thank you for sharing this. It's good to know that she could be just later than my other doeling in getting her heats, or just not being in heat as loudly.

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Thanks. I was more so posting to hear other experiences to see if I was being irrational to even worry that she may be pregnant.
The blood test is not a bad idea though. It will give you peace of mine. Esp since you do not know if the banded wethers were put right back in with her.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank y'all for the answers. Ordered stuff for a blood test. In the mean time, she's had a thick, clear to yellowish discharge for the past few days (first day was Tuesday). I attached a pic as it has gotten heavier and more opaque. From my limited experience with my other doe, her heat discharge is totally clear and not as thick, so was wondering if the discharge in the pic is also normal for a heat? Or what else it could be? She hasn't shown any other signs of being in heat.
IMG_9775.jpg

·
Super Moderator
59,347 Posts
It can be heat. It can just be discharge. It can be discharge from a uterine infection. Take your pick. Unfortunately you will have to figure out which.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It can be heat. It can just be discharge. It can be discharge from a uterine infection. Take your pick. Unfortunately you will have to figure out which.
In your experience, does the description/picture seem more like one than the others? are there other symptoms I should look for for uterine infection? She's acting normal with normal temp.

·
Super Moderator
59,347 Posts
I would say either heat or normal discharge. With not knowing her and seeing her daily, can't say for sure what.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Some goats hide their heats. When a doe first comes into heat he’s the goo is clear, but the farther along that good kinda sits in there or when it comes out, it turns more cloudy, thick and well basically that color. If this is from being in heat she is not in heat any more. That is old mucus

1 - 16 of 16 Posts