Doeling not thriving any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nubiansrus1, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    I held back 4 Nubian kids this year of my own, and bought/traded 2 ND doelings. The Nubians theres 3 doelings and a buckling. Nubians are around 4 month old, and NDs about 5 months old. Everyone is huge, doing well. Im working on moving everyone to a new pen of their own away from moms, they dont really nurse much anymore but... one of the Nubian doelings is about half the size of the others, and skinnier in her back end, Ive watched she doesnt get bullied and seems to eat well. We feed good quality alfalfa and fruits and veggies. And bread as a treat everynow and then. Everyones always seemed to do well on that, and everyone is nice and fat, including moms, except one doeling. Im a bit afraid to wean her. Shes been wormed and a fecal done, no worms. Any suggestions on a feed to give her, and would you wean her, or keep her on mom? Mom doesnt really feed her much anymore, is she better off in the pen with her buds and without mom?

Ooops forgot to ad, the buckling is her brother. So mom had twins. And hes huge.

2. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Some animals, like some people, just are not going to be large. It is not necessarily something that you can control or fix.

I'd leave her with her buds unless she is being bullied away from the food. You probably will not want to breed her this yr, if ever.

One of my doelings is tinier than the others. Her mom is on the small size too. Both are very healthy, but dainty. Mom delivered with no problems and the twin was a huge buckling. I didn't breed her till her second season.

3. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

Yeah thats kind of what i thought too but I wasnt sure. Ok In my gut I wanted to leave her with her friends. Well her brother isnt gonna go with her, since he is being kept a buck. I wouldnt dream of breeding her this year. I have no problem letting her grow up for as long as she needs before breeding. A shame cause shes a moonspotted nubian doe, but thats fine. LOL.

Thank you for the input. Anyone else? Id love to get more opinions. Maybe Im just paranoid lol