The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to goats and I don't want a big bill because of an unhealthy new doeling. I fell in love with her but this is all the owner has told me: she was born 6/17/2013 her mother was a first time mom and had triplets so she is bottle feeding this one, she was born with a half dollar size bald spot but it has since grown hair. Other kids are fine. What does everyone think? She said in her response she doesn't know if the bald spot is a sign of future internal problems, what is that supposed to mean? It seems fishy, but she is so cute!! And I just love rescues, both of my wethers are rescue situations. She is exactly the breed and coloring that I want and I just think she's is the sweetest thing!

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
much depends on what she is asking and the conformation of the dam & sure, including udder if you want milk. If she's a boer, that's up to you (can't tell boer/nubian from the pic). I wouldn't worry about the bald spot...she's probably thinking if its a birth defect there may be more...but hair might not of grown from skin or membranes being stuck. If she looks strong on her feet and coordinated when she's moving and is eating well, then no worries. If she's smaller for being the baby, you can supplement her with BoSe and fortified B complex as she grows.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
When you go see her, make sure she is happy and animated. She should have bright clean eyes. She's a pretty girl. I would continue the bottle feeding for a few more weeks, gradually reducing the number of bottles. I wean bottle babies, around 10 weeks. Making sure they are eating hay/grain/browse.

Good luck!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I see nothing in your post that would cause me to worry about purchasing this doeling. I'm sorry, that is a somewhat cryptic response. When you go to look at her in person she should be alert, active, and her eyes and nose should be clear. Her bottom should be clean and she should not have a distended belly. She should be aware of her surroundings, showing some level of curiosity about you being there, and not be cowering in a corner or apathetic and depressed. Check her navel to see if it is swollen, or hot. You might also check her knees for heat. It is not uncommon for a first timer to not have enough milk to support triplets, so I wouldn't worry about her being bottle fed. Make sure she in not sunken in in front of her hip bones - an indication that she is not getting enough to eat, therefore she may not grow out properly. If you're looking to purchase her right away, that should not be a problem since I get the impression she is very young. Check the rest of the herd for scars/discoloration/white hair in a colored area due to abscesses under their ears, slightly above the point of their shoulders, or high on their hips (CL). Watch to see if any goats in the herd are limping even if their hoof condition is good, picking up one front foot, setting it down, picking up the other front foot, setting it down in a repetitive pattern or walking with a stiff, stilted type of gait (CAE). Check out the overall condition of the farm and pens. Are the pens clean? Do you smell anything funky? Is there trash everywhere? Any indication of bones laying around? Do the goats seem to be in good condition, not gaunted up (sunk in in front of their hip bones), are the waterers or water tubs/buckets clean, goats are lively and in good condition? If you can give the appropriate answer to all of the above questions, you are probably good to go with this little doeling.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!! I just find it strange that tight away she mentioned not guaranteeing health almost as if she suspects something. She is a mini Nubian 4th generation coming from sandy hill farm in pa.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
sounds like a good breeder being upfront in not knowing if there could be genetic issues in her future. Its always good to go into a purchase with your eyes open. But like Toth Boers said I dont see anything alarming in what was stated.

The picture looks like her right after birth - any updated photos of her? I would ask if she is to far away to just go visit. If close enough I would take a day to go see her and then decide on the purchase

Good luck :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts