The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what else to do for my doeling. I went away for a few days, came home my doeling is very sick. Temp 108, rattling cough, teeth grinding. She had Draxxin SQ AND Banamine IM this afternoon. Just checked her temp still 108. She is shivering but eating hay. Is this sit and wait? What else can I do?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,463 Posts
I agree with the Probios and B Complex.. Anyone who is 'off' here gets those... Otherwise I really am not sure... Sorry :( hope she feels better soon..
Is she one of the ones you brought to the fair?

·
Super Moderator
36,119 Posts
How much Draxxin and Banamine did she recieve and what is her weight?
I agree with B complex as a supportive vitamin

to bring her temp down...dip a rag in cool water and ring out well..place under her front arm pit area, on her head and tummy...not soaking wet..keep cooling the rag in the water...If she is not drinking on her own...Drench electrolytes...here is a good recipe to make your own..
Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or what you have on hand or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it
I would repeat the draxxin daily...I know its a one time shot but goats metabolism is too fast for this kind of treatment. I prefer Nuflor myself...cost a lot less too.

·
Super Moderator
36,119 Posts
I don't think I would do Draxxin daily
According to a few different places reading up on draxxin..daily is safe..;) But Im still reading.
here is one source I read....
per tennessee meat goats..
Draxxin (tulothromycin) - Vet prescription. Injectable respiratory antibiotic. Very expensive product that purports to be a one-time-only usage antibiotic. Because goats have the fastest metabolism of all ruminants, they need to be dosed daily. .

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
Tried to respond to this last night but the internet was cranky.....

Celestial is the name of the doe baby that Erika bought from me this year......I was wondering if it was her.......
Ohhhhh... I was thinking some kind of disease called celestial. Sorry.
Actually Celestial is a cute name.

·
Super Moderator
64,039 Posts
According to a few different places reading up on draxxin..daily is safe..;) But Im still reading.
here is one source I read....
per tennessee meat goats..
I just don't trust everything I read on the internet. I have very knowledgable goat vets who see a lot of goats on a regular basis. So I will trust what they say before anything on the internet. I just don't trust that anyone including Tennessee Meat Goats has truly experienced everything they write about. I know TMG is the bible for goats but I still don't trust everything on it.

·
Super Moderator
36,119 Posts
I agree Karen. I never go on just one source but try to find many supportng sources..you are right, just because its on the internet doesnt make it so...deep research makes the case and many time our own experiance. ;)

·
Super Moderator
36,119 Posts
herdqueen..hows your doe doing?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.