The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what else to do for my doeling. I went away for a few days, came home my doeling is very sick. Temp 108, rattling cough, teeth grinding. She had Draxxin SQ AND Banamine IM this afternoon. Just checked her temp still 108. She is shivering but eating hay. Is this sit and wait? What else can I do?

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
You could put her in a tub of cool water. Just have on her legs and belly. You could hose her down, just legs and belly. I would also offer her some electrolyte water. Probios, B Complex shot.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I agree with the Probios and B Complex.. Anyone who is 'off' here gets those... Otherwise I really am not sure... Sorry :( hope she feels better soon..
Is she one of the ones you brought to the fair?

·
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No she is a doeling that stayed home. Normally she stays in her bedroom at night, but she wasn't put in at night and I'm afraid she wasn't allowed in the barn.

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
How much Draxxin and Banamine did she recieve and what is her weight?
I agree with B complex as a supportive vitamin

to bring her temp down...dip a rag in cool water and ring out well..place under her front arm pit area, on her head and tummy...not soaking wet..keep cooling the rag in the water...If she is not drinking on her own...Drench electrolytes...here is a good recipe to make your own..
Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or what you have on hand or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it
I would repeat the draxxin daily...I know its a one time shot but goats metabolism is too fast for this kind of treatment. I prefer Nuflor myself...cost a lot less too.

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
I don't think I would do Draxxin daily. I wouldn't do more than once every 7 days. I know you go longer for cattle. If anything, I would do another dose of Banamine.

·
14,615 Posts
You can also put ice packs behind her ears and on pulse points.
Even frozen peas or something.
That temp is frightfully high.
She can have another shot of banamine by now.:pray:

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
I don't think I would do Draxxin daily
According to a few different places reading up on draxxin..daily is safe..;) But Im still reading.
here is one source I read....
per tennessee meat goats..
Draxxin (tulothromycin) - Vet prescription. Injectable respiratory antibiotic. Very expensive product that purports to be a one-time-only usage antibiotic. Because goats have the fastest metabolism of all ruminants, they need to be dosed daily. .

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Tried to respond to this last night but the internet was cranky.....

Celestial is the name of the doe baby that Erika bought from me this year......I was wondering if it was her.......

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Erica how is your doeling doing. Hope you have been able to get that temp down. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Tried to respond to this last night but the internet was cranky.....

Celestial is the name of the doe baby that Erika bought from me this year......I was wondering if it was her.......
Ohhhhh... I was thinking some kind of disease called celestial. Sorry.
Actually Celestial is a cute name.

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
According to a few different places reading up on draxxin..daily is safe..;) But Im still reading.
here is one source I read....
per tennessee meat goats..
I just don't trust everything I read on the internet. I have very knowledgable goat vets who see a lot of goats on a regular basis. So I will trust what they say before anything on the internet. I just don't trust that anyone including Tennessee Meat Goats has truly experienced everything they write about. I know TMG is the bible for goats but I still don't trust everything on it.

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
I agree Karen. I never go on just one source but try to find many supportng sources..you are right, just because its on the internet doesnt make it so...deep research makes the case and many time our own experiance. ;)

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Celestial's dam's name is Aurora so I think that Erika was going with a theme......

But it does sound like an exotic disease or worse some new recreational drug.....lol.

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
herdqueen..hows your doe doing?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Was wondering how things were going with your doe. Hope all is okay. Will check back tomorrow and see if you have had time to be on and let us know..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts