The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doeling that has Cocci. I lost a baby Pygmy to Cocci a month ago so I knew what to watch for. She has diarrhea, but isn't weak like he was. I treated her with 6cc of Baycox last night due to her weight and gave her some electrolytes in her water. This morning I went in to check on her before I went to work and it looked like she had increased diarrhea during the night which I'm guessing is the Cocci passing through? I gave her some Pepto to settle her stomach. She seems to be good this evening with no more recent diarrhea. Should I give her a second dose of Baycox soon?

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Great job catching it fast!!

Second dose of baycox should be done in 10 days! Yes the runs can get worse before it gets better..
Pepto can be done 2x a day as needed..once poop begins to thicken, stop pepto
keep her hydrated and no feed until she is pooping berries..
Probios would be helpful

Mightbe good to have a fecal done in a few days to see how her count is and to be sure other worms didnt take advantage of her weak system : )

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Yes...I have had to do both at the same time...

·
Goat Momma
346 Posts
Sorry I don't mean to steal your thread. But I have a question on cocci. What all can you use to treat cocci. I've used sulmet. And I've heard of using albon. And our vet says to use corrid. Are there any other options? Just for future reference.

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Baycox is by far the best out there right now...you order from horseprerace.com it kills all stages of cocci, so its more effective...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely use Baycox! It has worked wonders on my doeling :) it's a lifesaver. Whatever you do stay away from Corid...it did not work for me and I have heard of many goats dying from it after I had already used it. Thank God for these awesome people to help me through it all with their intelligence!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts