The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a doe deliver triplets 4 days ago. 1 died from the sac being on her face, sadly I was at work during the kidding. Got home right as the other 2 were born. Buckling and doeling. The doeling seemed frisky and was attempting to nurse and we helped her along. Noticed by the next morning she didnt seem to be as enthusiastic and more or less just playing with the teat than actuallylatching. Buckling was bouncing off the walls and doing well. Hes continued to just surpass her. Its been hot and she started looking thinner so we gave her selenium/vit E gel at 24 hours old, continued trying constantly to get her to nurse on mom with no luck. At 48 hours gave nutri drench. We tried bottle feeding and could get little milk into her. Then that evening when milking mom to relieve pressure she started lapping up milk from bowl. So she was obviously hungry. In addition to no suck reflex, she seems depressed acting and uncoordinated, weaker in the legs. She doesnt run around playing, mostly lays in the grass away from everyone and if she goes to scratch herself she sometimes falls or gets close to it.

I done some research and seen thatsometimes a deficiency can cause these issues. Since she had already haveselenium/vit E gel we gave her a small dose of BO-SE, .10cc (shes a nigerian). Today I got her to drink 1.5ml of milk at 3 and 7pm from bottle. It was a fight, but she was finally using her tongue and moving mouty more and will latch to my finger. With the tiny improvements, I am wondering if I should give more BO-SE. I dont want to hurt her since I dont really know if this is proper treatment.... but desperate to help her.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Do you have any Replamin, by chance?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont right now. I typically do. We have nutri drench, selenium/vit e gel and bose. I gave her selenium/vit e gel at 24 hours old, nutri drench at 48 hours and then on day 3 tried .10 cc of bose since I had given her the other stuff

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Do you know how to tube a kid? Your vet may be able to help you if you don't. I'm thinking she is getting weaker from lack of food and that has to be addressed before anything else.

Like I'm seeing this started out as a deficiency, but has progressed to starvation. Tubing could save her, and give you time to address deficiencies.

I personally prefer Replamin to the selenium get or Bo-Se. But others disagree.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
When I have one that acts like that, even that young, I go ahead and treat orally with penicillin and thiamine. It can't hurt and could save their lives. Look up Floppy Kid Syndrome.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Have you given vitamin b complex? I'd do 1cc morning and night for a couple days then 1 cc for a day or two. Are you putting a pinch of baking soda in the bottle? It seemed to really encourage Thalia when she didn't like her bottle in the beginning.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Tubing sounds really scary but honestly it's not very hard! If you can get ahold of someone to show you it will make you feel better but you can definitely achieve it by watching videos! Tube 2-3 ounces of mom's milk into her every 4 hours and I bet she is bouncing in no time! You will likely only need to do this for less than 24 hours.

Also - can you get Vitamin E human gel capsules and squirt one in her mouth?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I truly feel tubing is the answer at this moment. Get her food, and then decide where to go from there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why tube when she will drink plenty from a bowl? She keeps her belly full and is pooping and peeing?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shes been drinking about 4 ounces every 4 hours from a bowl. Been holding bowl up at udder level so she isnt eating downward. Vet says as long as she is doing this he feels tube feeding isnt necessary. Just need to address why shes still weak/no suck reflex.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Weve given 1/4cc vitamin b complex the day before yesterday. Was gonna give another 1/4 cc today. Shes a Nigerian. Should I give more and do it more often. We are giving it subq

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also done 2cc selenium gel/vit E and .10cc of bose should I give more of these? Vet says to give antibiotic and a steriod too just to cover bases.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Why tube when she will drink plenty from a bowl? She keeps her belly full and is pooping and peeing?
When you tube feed.... it goes into the proper compartment of her stomach. When she drinks from a bowl it goes into a completely different part of the stomach. That is why they drink wih their heads bent at an akward angle and when you bottle feed you want the head up. It closes off a valve in there so it goes to the correct place.

Have you felt the roof of the mouth to make sure there is no cleft pallet?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Because this...
that evening when milking mom to relieve pressure she started lapping up milk from bowl. So she was obviously hungry
didn't mention ANY of this...
Shes been drinking about 4 ounces every 4 hours from a bowl. Been holding bowl up at udder level so she isnt eating downward. Vet says as long as she is doing this he feels tube feeding isnt necessary.
I could only respond to the info given me, which altogether pointed toward starvation.

Glad it's better now.

Reactions: Sfgwife

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Because this...

didn't mention ANY of this...

I could only respond to the info given me, which altogether pointed toward starvation.

Glad it's better now.
Sorry! I am so scatterbrained. So yes, she is eating from a bowl. Despite the fact that she is eating and using the bathroom she is still acting funny. Weak and depressed and still refuses to use tongue and latch. She will headbutt moms udder and sometimes act interested in the teat, but gives up. Even when does get ahold of it its like she cant actually use tongue and get milk out. I have felt her mouth and looked. Every appears as normal. I just want to make her better and get to the root cause. The vet has given me steroids, antibiotic and he said I may go ahead and give her more bose and b complex. I do worry about OD on the bose though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does she have a cleft pallet? Have you checked?
Mouth looks normal. It seems like a deficiency to me. Especially where she seems weaker and more unsteady wkth her back legs. She will walk and sometimes speed up for a few minutes, but just not like her brother. She doesnt run to play, she will just speed up to grt to where she wants to lay down

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
No more selenium, you gave enough.

The kid has learned the bowel way, so you will have to teach the teat way.
Open her mouth, put it over the teat and squirt a little bit of milk into her mouth, let go of her, then gently guide her to the teat, tickle her tail head.
Hold up the teat directed to her mouth, so she can find it easier.

Repeat, keep trying. Go out every 2 hours and try.
It is best if she is a bit hungry.

At first, you can try syringe feeding.
Get a new 12 cc syringe, fill with mama's milk. Put your pinky or index finger in her mouth mimicking a teat, slightly pull your finger in and out, still leaving your finger in her mouth and feeding the milk from the syringe at the back corner of her mouth very slowly, this helps to trigger her suck reflex.
Have someone else tickle her tailhead area at the same time.
when you get the suck reflex, put the kid onto mama's teat.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts