The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was giving all my nigerian does cdt shots and checking overall health famacha and temps and found one doeling had a temp of 103.9 temp but acts normal not coughing or breathing hard. Eating an drinking not acting sick but that temp seems a bit high should I start la 200 or penicillin?also could be a slight chance she is pregnant,buck accidentally got in with her at the end of October. She is now around 10 1/2 months old.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Temps tend to run higher in the evening so that may be it if it was that time of day. If she’s acting fine in all other aspects I wouldn’t treat her with anything, just wait and watch. Normal temps for goats can range right up to 103 or even 103.5 so she’s not necessarily that high.

Abx can be very hard on the rumen bacteria and cause problems so I never use any antibiotic without an actual cause.

If you really feel like you need to do something you can always give vitamin b/thiamine and probiotics for a couple days. Anytime one of mine is “off” at all, that’s my go to first step.

·
14,760 Posts
I agree, go with your gut, if your goat is acting perfectly fine, I'd just watch and retake the temp. If you notice her acting off, or temp either goes up or possibly doesn't go down a bit after laying around and evening has cooled off, then you probably could treat.
I do the same thing as CBPitts if I think one is off a bit - I give b-complex and probiotics. But if I truly think they have an infection causing a fever, then antibiotics are needed.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You can get b complex in a tube as well but oral isn’t absorbed and utilized as well as injectable. Probiotics can be in a tube or a powder. Either one works well.

·
Registered
449 Posts
This has kind of gone out of favor but a dark malty beer works well too The fermented wheat/barley leaves active yeast that works as a probiotic and the process of fermenting releases a ton of vitamin b. I actually tried this with one of my one does that was off recently. She’s very skittish and hasn’t warmed up to me though I’m working hard on her! I really didn’t want to catch her and shove stuff down her throat and stab her with needles for a few days so I gave her half a dark microbrew instead. She was perked up by morning and it earned me some brownie points with her too (goats usually love beer).

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
When we are grabbing and giving vaccinations ect.
Goats tend to get a bit stressed during this.
They struggle with us, we catch them, which can bring up slightly, their temp. Which sounds like the case here.
Especially when she is acting normal otherwise.

Do not start antibiotics, just watch and retake the temp when she has calmed down.
And has not been in the direct sun, that too, can raise temps.

I would calm the goat down and retake it again.
I bet it is from excitement.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When we are grabbing and giving vaccinations ect.
Goats tend to get a bit stressed during this.
They struggle with us, we catch them, which can bring up slightly, their temp. Which sounds like the case here.
Especially when she is acting normal otherwise.

Do not start antibiotics, just watch and retake the temp when she has calmed down.
And has not been in the direct sun, that too, can raise temps.

I would calm the goat down and retake it again.
I bet it is from excitement.
I was wondering if that could have maybe done that because she hates to be given shots, and she was really stressed. I will be taking her temp again when I get home from work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts