doeling with a cough

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Chi Chi, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I have a little gal that came to us sick- had cough running eyes and it was touch and go for alittle bit in Aug. Origanally the breeder thought it was allergies but later it turns out she had taken in a doe from her herd and had some bronchitis running thru a few her gals. My little girl seemed to be improving- cough was gone. This morning I went out and she has it back again. No temp but I am concerned that the cough is back- I have Pen or LA-200. WHich would be better to use with her to try and knock it out? SHe was born in April- Nig. Dwarf- she was on of multiplies and she only weighs 12 pounds.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    LA 200 1ccper 20lbs

So she would get a little over 1/2cc for 5 days

be sure you haven an accurate weight on her -- dont want to estimate to low on her weight and not give enough.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Stacey....sorry your doeling is sick... :( :hug:

4. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Thank you- is it given just once a day? Is this the stuff that stings? :( So should I expect her to jump and cry? She is just the sweetest thing!!! I don't want her to be sick! The wet weather this summer has been yucky now with the cool temps..I don't want things to get worse.

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes... I believe it is... once a day and yep... it can sting... :( :hug:

6. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Okay my Dh is home and I am heading out to give the injection- just double checking that it is given SQ.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
  8. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Oh my goodness!!!! She SCREAMED!!!! My DH doesn't think he can go thru that 4 more times. It was pitiful! Our boarder collie who thinks it is her baby (both black and white) was very upset and tried to get the baby away from us during the injection and once again as I was providing the baby some comfort afterwards. She is low man on the totem pole and the other goats just kept grazing never looking up. She has been coughing an awful lot so I am gald we gave it.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah its not fun but when you know that if you dotn do it they get sicker and can die -- its worth the 5 days of pain believe me

10. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Stacey...that's the only thing that will carry us thru. She is fine now- just wants to be held- her usual.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can try giving it IM to see if that is easier on you and her.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It isn't easy... to see our babies sick and have to give them a little pain sometimes... to help them get well..... tell her ....it is for her own good and it is because you love her... is why you have to do it..... :hug:

13. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Stacey- I checked her over to see if there was any site I could give it IM before giving it SQ. I couldn't find a site that I was comfortable with because she is so tiny. The only big part about her besides her personality is her belly! I was to concerned about hit bone, nerve or vessel. We all are going to have to suck it up until she is better. She does love them fruit loops!

14. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

up-date---how is she doing???? poor thing, that doesn't sound like fun giving those shots!

15. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    She is doing great now! The shots seemed to be what she needed. Gidget has a pep in her step and is now running to keep up with the rest of the crew. The weather has been tricky this year and now it seems that winter is just around the corner. I talked to my Mom- 90 degrees where we used to live- here stuggling to make mid fifties yesterday. This morning was a chilly one at 36 degrees. I told my husband that I didn't think Gidget should be out in the barn when it is so cold- she is just so tiny. ... I think we should bring her into the house. He said nope- at least for now.

16. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    So happy she is doing well.....Yep, these hubbies can be tough when wanting to bring a goat into the house.......my hubby loves our guys and he hates, hates helping with injections because they get so upset.....he had rather pay the vet to come out, but let me mention bringing a goat in the house and he becomes a stone wall!

17. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I know, what buggers! I was just telling mine that we need to build some type of winter play area for the goats. With all the snow we get here a few months into winter we are over knee high and have to make paths in the yard to give the dogs some exercise- and now of course to get to all the barns and such. He wonders if the goats are as big sissys with the snow as they are with the rain? I can only imagine what mischief my crew will get into if they are bored. What do you with your goats in winter?

18. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

My goats usually trample a path to the outside hay rack but that's about it. I have to actually shovel paths to their outside platforms & clear all of the snow off of their ramps & platforms otherwise they won't use them. They still enjoy laying out in the sunshine on a calm sunny day--even if it's -20 F. I try to get them to go outside in the fresh air as much as possible, it's not good for them to be cooped up in a barn too much. I always put their morning hay outside for them to munch on. We have a roof over the hay rack so they don't even get snowed on while enjoying their breakfast. I feed their evening hay in the barn though.