Doeling with big belly?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by laurelsh, Oct 3, 2020.

1. laurelsh

laurelsh Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    This San Clemente Island Goat doeling, 6 months old, came to me in CA from VA, arrived Sep. 16. Fecal test showed Coccidia, which she was treated for with Toltrazuril. After 4 days she got clumpy poops, so I cut back any grain, gave probiotics 2x a day, fed only alfalfa hay, grass hay and timothy pellets (small amount 2x a day). Poops went back to normal, so I've been gradually increasing the amount of oats/BOSS/pellets 2x a day. She does get some grain hay (oats, barley, wheat) from the next pen (LOVES IT) and I've been trying to keep that to a minimum also. She's been doing great, no signs of illness.

But I'm pretty sure her belly is getting bigger, and it looks odd. What could this be? Should I worry? She is acting completely healthy. I checked, and her twin sister back in VA doesn't have this big belly. Do I need to have the vet out to examine her?
    20201003_121232.jpg 20201003_121328.jpg

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Is she in distress? Did you have a follow-up fecal to see where the parasite levels were?

3. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    No distress at all, she is totally normal. I was waiting 3 weeks after giving Toltrazuril to retest fecal, which is on 10/19.
    Should I send in another fecal on Monday?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Did she get a booster of toltrazuril 10ndays after the first treatment? She looks a bit bloated. Does her tummy feel hard or tight?

5. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    No she did not, but 10 days is not until 10/5. In the past, I have always given just a 1x treatment of toltrazuril, had never heard of it needing a booster before (?). I will go down and feel her belly a bit later. It's 105 degrees out there and I don't want to bother her right now.
    She does look a bit bloated to me too, but not more on one side than the other. Should I treat her with bloat protocol without other symptoms? She is eating. Her poops look fine, perhaps a few clumpy.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I don't booster Tolturazil unless needed 21 days later. I have a 6 month old doe (Mirage) that carries "large in the rumen", your doe looks like she is really enjoying her hay. Maybe cut down a bit..... a pic of my big girl - who looks a lot like yours.....if you are concerned you could drench with baking soda. And yep , Mirage has a huge milk goiter. She's a piggy all the way around. IMG_7008 (2).JPG

friesian49, Sfgwife and laurelsh like this.
  7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    When you have an active case of coccidia..or fecal shows heavy load, its a good idea to do booster.
    I would start with probiotics. She doesn't look too bad and probiotics may do the trick. When ita cooler of course

laurelsh likes this.
  8. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Thanks everyone. She loves the Probiotics gel, and I will give her that this evening. I'll keep a baking soda drench in mind, maybe tomorrow when it's cooler. I think I'll put baking soda out in a dish and see if she goes for it. I had not put that in their quarantine pen. Her name is Emmie -she had a mild to moderate load of coccidia but her pen mate, Isabella, had heavy load coccidia and trichostrongyles. I was going to redo fecal 3 weeks after 1st treatment to see where we're at, which is not until 10/19.

I was just reading about a "hay belly vs bloat" on The Thrifty Homesteader, how to tell the difference by feel. I checked, and it is more gas (bloat) - I can push in her sides and they pop out again, although it is not drum tight. Rather than hay belly (parasites) - where you push in the belly and it stays in. Interesting, other places talk about "hay belly" as just being a large belly from eating lots of hay, not parasite related. Emmie does love to eat!

She got Probios, and about 1 tsp baking soda in her at evening feed. I think she might be getting bigger. I am concerned and plan to give her 20 cc MoMag and massage her this evening.

I'm talking to myself here :) I am still not certain if she really does have bloat because a) she is eating. b) she is walking and acting normally. c) she doesn't seem in distress at all. It's just that her belly is getting larger - both sides, not just the left. It seems a bit bigger than it was this morning.

UPDATE: 7 PM, at 6pm I gave her 20 cc MoMag, and rubbed her left side quite a bit. I left her alone then for 45 min, and came back and VOILA!! She had lost about an inch's width on each side!! Still happy as a little clam. I'm so relieved.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    toth boer goats likes this.
  9. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I had a buckling this year who got a really large belly. He was treated for coccidia twice with Dimethox. I was trying all sorts of things. The third time he got loose stools I used Corid and he finally got better. His belly is back to normal now and he’s growing much better. If your repeat fecal still shows coccidia you might want to treat with a different drug than you used the first time.

laurelsh likes this.
  10. Sometimes...and in my experience, in young kids, tapeworms can give a potbelly look. They don't always show in a fecal and I've had them not show heavily in poop.

But, if she loves her hay, it could be just that.

happybleats likes this.
  11. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    I think you are worrying about a goat that just loves to eat and is perfectly healthy. We have a 7 month old doeling that has the large belly and I am not worried at all about her. She acts normal and is eating and growing really well. That is what I expect a young hungry goat to do. So if she is acting normal and has a good appetite then I would not worry. Don't create a worry !

friesian49 likes this.
  12. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Humph~ you might be right!! She is acting happy and alert and a great appetite, and no loose poops.
    I will definitely keep my eye on her though and recheck a fecal 10/19 (3 weeks after last Coccidia treatment.)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    friesian49 likes this.
  13. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    If tapeworms don't show up on fecal how do you tell if they have them?

14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    She looks absolutely fine to me.

You can always give equimax for tapeworm.

friesian49 likes this.
  15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Tapeworm segments will be seen in the stool.

friesian49 likes this.
  16. You generally can see them in the stool. I've had some that I didn't see in the stool...but I also don't go inspecting everyone's poop if I see them having normal berries so it's possible I missed it. I did just have a doeling (8 months) that had scours and I saw segments and immediately treated her with Equimax. BUT, it's something we deal with a lot here. I have seen them on fecal but not very often.

She looks fine to me. They shouldn't be slab-sided and just flat on the sides, there should be some roundness to their abdomens. They'll look a bit fatter after eating too. But her pictures look like a typical goat there. If you aren't having issues...she is most likely fine.