Doeling With Diarreah

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Native87, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Native87

Native87 New Member

I have a little kiko doeling that developed diarreah over night. I gave her some Probios and keeping an eye on her. She is still nibbling around eating and has been drinking water. Any other suggestions?? Should I seperate her from another baby? Thanks folks. :)

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How old is she? Also, it's important to get her temperature too, diarrhea could be a symptom of anything from an infection to a change in feed. If she's still got a sloppy bum, watch her fluid intake and also give her 6cc of Pepto Bismol.

3. Native87

Native87 New Member

Thank You Liz for a fast response. Her temp is right at 103.0.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Temp is normal...on the higher side of normal but that could be a factor with the outside temp too, I wouldn't separate her but would get the Pepto into her ASAP and if possible, have a fecal run to rule out cocci, cocci can be an issue for kids from 3 weeks of age and up.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree that a fecal will help.... :wink:

How old is she and what color is the poo?

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Does the poo smell foul?

7. Native87

Native87 New Member

She is 5 months old. The color is the same as healthy berries. There is no foul odor and she seems in great spirits.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    What I noticed with cocci diarhea, the poop smells like extremely burnt coffee...not a good smell at all.
    Dose her with Pepto and avoid giving her any grain, just hay and if you have it, dry oatmeal...it really helps bind the poop and have a fecal run as soon as you possibly can, to rule out coccidia because it can become a real problem if left untreated.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How much and what are you feeding?

If she has had an increase in feed or a sudden change.... it could cause scouring....
    stop any grain and if you are feeding rich feed such as Alfalfa ....feed her less and put in a little bit of less hot hay such as oat hay.....ect

Do your pastures have alot of overgrowth...she may be over eating ? Sometimes pulling them from a pasture and just do a couple hours at a time per day and increase slowly per day may help...also feeding some hay before you let them out can help to.... :wink:

Keep up the Pepto Bismol....if no improvement by the next day then ....a fecal should be done.....and something else should be given.... it may be from worms or cocci...

10. Native87

Native87 New Member

She has just been free ranging. I will keep her from her basture a little more and continue Pepto. How often should I give it to her?

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You can give it every 6-8 hours, after a minimum of 2 doses of 6cc you should start seeing tootsie roll turds, keep her on only hay until you see that happen, and I do reccomend offering her some dry oatmeal, it can be the old fashioned or the quick cooking kind...not instant as theres too much other stuff in that.

12. Native87

Native87 New Member

Thanks for all the help and support. She is now back to tootsie roll consistency and I am continuing your suggestions until she is back to berries. Thanks Again.

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Glad to hear she's on her way back to being normal :hug: