Doeling with fever and swelling on neck

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by totesmygoots, Sep 18, 2020.

1. totesmygoots

totesmygoots Member

Jun 26, 2020
    New York
    Background: 10 week old doeling I sold to friends
    Had pneumonia at 6 weeks, treated successfully, no other issues until this.
    They called me last night in a panic, her face was swollen. She also has a cough. Brought her to me, 105 fever so gave her banamine. Checked mouth, no abscess that I could see, swelling went down and temp went back to normal. I figured an allergic reaction to a spider bite or something. It doesn’t seem to be localized to lymph nodes. She was fine all day until this evening, all symptoms came back so I gave more banamine. They wormed her even though her FAMACHA score was great. Shes has vitamin b and Benadryl and a probiotic. She’s eating & drinking though having trouble with hay because of the face swelling. My herd all tested negative for CL, Johnnes in April, mom included. They have no other goats and I have only brought in a buck who the doeling has no contact with before I sold her.
    I’m at a loss. Anything else it could be? Would barberpole worm have this result?

2. totesmygoots

totesmygoots Member

Jun 26, 2020
    New York
    No other goats besides her brother & mom I should add. Who are totally fine.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Is there a vet that they can go to? Have they had a fecal done? Did she have any more Benadryl than what you gave her?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. totesmygoots

totesmygoots Member

Jun 26, 2020
    New York
    They don’t have a vet. There isn’t really anyone local that will see goats, I did tell her to call around tomorrow but as first time owners they are freaking out. No fecal has been done since she left me and it had zero worm count then. But that was 3 weeks ago. Yes they have more Benadryl.

5. totesmygoots

totesmygoots Member

Jun 26, 2020
    New York
    She’s had banamine, and Benadryl tonight.

6. ksalvagno

Did they give more Benadryl between the 2 times you gave it? Where on the face is she swollen?

7. totesmygoots

totesmygoots Member

Jun 26, 2020
    New York
    Yes they gave her some this morning as well. It’s below her eye down to her neck and on one side and under her chin a bit

8. totesmygoots

totesmygoots Member

Jun 26, 2020
    New York
    IMG_2008.jpg this was last night. Swelling came back on the same side

9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I might consider antibiotics due to the high temp.

Any bites, cuts? The swelling is odd to me.

I would run a fecal for sure.

10. totesmygoots

totesmygoots Member

Jun 26, 2020
    New York
    I did tell them to give LA200. I’ll have them look. Yeah I’m at a loss I’ve never had anything like this before. I feel bad.

11. totesmygoots

totesmygoots Member

Jun 26, 2020
    New York
    I did tell them to give LA200. I’ll have them look for bites or cuts. Yeah I’m at a loss I’ve never had anything like this before. I feel bad.

12. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Geeez..thats an odd swelling. You said a 105° temp? That would mean infection..have the teeth been checked? Honestly..I would take a fecal..rule out barber pole worms..
    Then treat her with antibiotics if no worms. Most allergies dont give you a high fever, unless its venomous.
    Also..were there goats living there before your neighbors? CL lives in the soil. Please keep me informed.

Elsee and Sfgwife like this.
  13. totesmygoots

totesmygoots Member

Jun 26, 2020
    New York
    No, there have never been goats there to my knowledge. I’ve lived here for 8 years and I’m the only one on the block with goats. Yeah 105 was the first night, 104 was last night.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  14. totesmygoots

totesmygoots Member

Jun 26, 2020
    New York
    I checked teeth and didn’t see anything but her mouth is very small. I adviced them to call around to a vet at this point as I’m kinda clueless now.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  15. ksalvagno

They definitely need a vet. Certainly do a fecal. But that is a problem that needs an experienced person or vet physically looking at her.

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Please seek a vet, this is very unusual.

17. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Have your friends taken baby to a vet yet?