Doeling with light colored diarrhea...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sweet Gum Minis, May 13, 2008.

1. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I noticed this morning that Gwen had the runs. I immediately started her on sulmet and gave her some pepto for her tummy ache. She ate her bottle just fine this morning but this evening she wasn't interested. I am suspecting coccidia of course as most kids will get it if not treated so I was wanting to know if there was anything it could be or anything else I could give her.

Her diarrhea is pale colored kind of cream off whitish.

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    i think it is E-Coli. You can use Naxcel or LA200 to take care of it. As well as Scour Halt. Sulmet should help a bit too.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How old is she Ashley? You were right to start her on the Sulmet...just in case. I too would suspect cocci especially if theres nothing else that she could have gotten into to cause the runs....the off white though has me thinking there was a post here that described the same thing and it was suspected e-coli? :shrug: I would continue with the pepto til it clears up.

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    They all had leaves from the heavy winds yesterday and over the weekend we'd let them out on some really green grass. They'd had hay to buffer their tummies some and they weren't there very long.

I have LA200 but its so harsh on their systems and stunts their growth. Would penicillin work or does it have to be LA200?

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Cocci is usually dark dark green/brown. I'd say something like E Coli or she it was something she ate.

As far as meds go, I am not experienced in antibiotics, but I think that Naxcel is something you get from the vet, and I don't think its like LA200.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Neomyacin is another option to treat E-coli.

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Oh and she's about 6 weeks old.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Use Sour Halt to treat for ecoli

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I don't have Scour Halt, would a local feed store carry it or do I need to go to Tractor Supply?

10. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I don't know about a local feed store, but TSC may have it.

11. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I'll call first thing in the AM and see if they have it locally. If not I guess I'll order it from Jeffers and see how soon I can get it from them. Should I put her on an antibiotic anyway?

12. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I am not sure. If you had Naxcel I would give her that. But I don't think I would give her LA200 (bad experiences). I need to buy some Scour Halt too..

13. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I'm going to find some tomorrow whatever it takes. I really hope either our feed store or TSC has it. I think I saw it at TSC and even considered it but wasn't sure its real use with goats and didn't want to buy something that could never be used. So I didn't get it. I know it was a scour stopping stuff. Just don't remember if it was "Scour Halt". I'll find out tomorrow.

14. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    She is doing better this morning. More peppy and took her bottle. So I am going to pick-up the Scour Halt and start her on it. Our feedstore does have it. I called this morning.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh good.

Now watch all the other kids that were around her and treat them if they show signs

16. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I'd really like to know if someone has ever found out what this is- I've seen several postings about white or light colored scours in kids- they seem to go away fairly fast. If others have had this, how can I be far behind.

17. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    We're thinking of treating all the kids. Many are a lot older than her though? She's the youngest in that pen.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    in my vet book light colored stools like that are usually a sign of ecoli and another crypto------ something so that is why I suggested ecoli as a possible cupret.

It is easily treated but you do need to clean all your pens out too as overcrowding or messy pens is what causes this as kids eat anything and are not able to fight off the bacteria

the fewer goats you have the less trouble you will encounter as you have less goats to encouter disease and such.

Take for example last year I had 5 kids all raised by their mothers. This year I have 10 kids with 3-5 being raised by me -- it isn't that all kids are rejected it is that the more kids you have the more chances of difficulty you will encounter. (not always but it was the best example off top my head :roll: )