Doeling with scours

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by HoosierShadow, Sep 20, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    My 10 1/2 week old doeling has scours :( She's acting fine, but has a very yucky butt.
    Her temp was fine yesterday, not much diarrhea. Temp. was a bit high but it was hot out when I took it.

This morning, her temp is fine, 101.7 it's 63 degrees right now.
    I gave her pepto last night. The poo looks to be very dark brown, or possibly very very dark green. When I saw some coming out it looked thick, not watery.
    This morning I gave her pepto and some baking soda, no grain.

I am wondering if it's 1 of 2 things. Cocci? She was wormed with Ivermectin Injection <not given orally>, I think it was THurs evening I'd have to check which day we did it.

Or could it be she has eaten too much grain and it's caused an upset?
    My husband thinks she had too much grain the night before last, and I feed them in the morning and the evening <2 does, and 3 kids 2x a day>
    Yesterday evening I told my husband NO GRAIN, so what does he do? He puts her in the stall ANYWAY!!!!! :GAAH: :angry: I was NOT happy, and warned him it could make her worse.

So after having the pepto and baking soda, is there anything else I should be doing for her? I'll check the feed store and see if they have the scour medicine so I can give her that, as I know it would work better.

Again she is acting normal, looks alert, and went off to graze with her mama. Hoping I am just overworrying and she won't need much else done.

So glad I can come here and ask you all advice :)

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yes I would withhold grain till the scours stop. From the sounds of it she got to much grain. But if it doesnt clear up in 12-24 hours then you will want to get her fecal checked for coccidia and worms just incase ivermectin isnt what she needs for the worms you have.

3. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Stacey! I hope she gets better, she is acting normal so that's a relief. I'll check her temp again before I go run errands.
    Until I get the scour medicine, any idea how often I should give her pepto?

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree....good luck ....hopefully it is only grain related.... :hug:

6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much. I need as little drama in my life right now as possible! especially when after saturday I will be home very little, and the sitter doesn't know anything about goats...yikes.
    She still has scours, but she is still acting fine, temp is fine, she drank A LOT of water this evening, and is in the stall with her mama and her twin buckling. She was sooooo upset that she didn't get grain again in the evening :( My poor baby.
    I gave her more pepto and baking soda, and hoping to see improvement tomorrow.

7. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thought I'd post that she was much better this morning when I went out. I checked the stall for diarrhea, and only found what looked like dog poo - so her poo is thickening up. I'm going out to check on her again in a few minutes.

Is there anything I can give her that won't make her sick? Calf Manna? Oatmeal is definitely out, she doesn't like the stuff at all. Poor baby was soooo upset that she didn't get grain again this morning.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    give her a little of the grain she is use to. Nothing fancy or different

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Stacey. I forgot to mention I do already give the calf manna in the feed. Her poo is starting to show some form again, I think she'll be back to normal tomorrow :) I'll give her a handful of grain in just a few minutes when I feed everyone.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    NP :) It was funny feeding her, she was seperated so she didn't get too much, and as she was finishing up one of the young does came over to help her finish her little bit up, and she was pushing the bigger girl away LOL She's a pushy lil' girl - takes after her mama <herd queen>. Glad to see the scours hasn't affected her too much!

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Looks like you've gotten great advice so far. Keep us posted. Sounds a lot like a cocci issue. Even when her poo clears up it would be good to keep some kind of cocci treatment on hand for future kids. I am regularly needing to treat for cocci. ;)

13. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Kaylee! I didn't buy any since the pepto worked, but as soon as I can I will get some to keep on hand. Hoping to start getting the medicine cabinet filled up soon! Getting a bit of a start :)

14. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
  15. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Hey everyone, just another question. The doeling is all fine now. We wormed her almost a week ago with an injection of ivermectin. We're planning to worm her, her twin and her mama again tomorrow evening. Is this a good idea since she just got over a tummy ache? We'll do an oral dose this time.

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is her poop normal? She's back to herself? I would dose her only because you want to break the life cycle of the parasites, if you don't it could end up causing her more issues in a few weeks. Give her some probiotic paste after the dose of wormer, it will help keep her gut balanced and may also help with any diarrhea issues that may come about from the oral dose.

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup you do want to do the follow up worming doses

18. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much! I plan on worming them this afternoon when I trim feet. I will look for the probiotic paste today when I go to town :)

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree....good luck.... :thumb: :hug: